Open top/closed aquarium?

Random

I was wondering, when I get my larger 100 gallon tank. Could I convert my 36 gallon to an open top? Since I really wanted to get an anubias and grow the leaves above water I really like the look of open top aquariums.

I wanted to have an open top 100 gallon, but I will have 3 silver sharks in it and I don't want them jumping out.

So how would I go about doing it, it will have

2 pearl gourami's
2 swordtails, but might get more
2platy's
4odd guppies
3 corydoras, might get 2 more

can you buy open top tanks, or do you just hang the light from the ceiling and remove the lid? Thankx

Aquarist

Hello. Open top or closed top is up to you. I've never had the silver sharks but as for the rest of your stocking list I don't see any major jumpers. I think it would look great with plants coming out of the top. Lids are usually a little extra $.

Random

thanks

I know it's up to me, I jsut thouight I would hear others opinion's first before deciding

harpua2002

What kind of light will you be using? I'd recommend a power compact fixture for a planted tank. Current USA's fixtures have an optional hanging kit that you can buy, and both Coralife and Current USA's fixtures have mounting legs that you can buy if you don't want to hang the fixture. The mounting legs are placed on the top frame, and allow the light to sit up off of the tank.

Random

harpua2002 said:
What kind of light will you be using? I'd recommend a power compact fixture for a planted tank. Current USA's fixtures have an optional hanging kit that you can buy, and both Coralife and Current USA's fixtures have mounting legs that you can buy if you don't want to hang the fixture. The mounting legs are placed on the top frame, and allow the light to sit up off of the tank.
Thanks, I might use one of those as hanging it from the ceiling would be a hassle.
I will order the mounting legs off the internet, I was going to use 1, 1watt light as it won't be plants that need lots of light to grow.

harpua2002

The mounting legs will not work with just any fixture. They are brand-specific.

Random

harpua2002 said:
The mounting legs will not work with just any fixture. They are brand-specific.
oh okay thanks lol

matt11390

I converted my 33g from a closed top to an open. Like you I like the open look better. I can get better views looking down through the water and plants. It enables me to observe and monitor things better. Plus to me it is more appealing and natural. You will have a little faster water evaporation so you may need to top off your water more frequently.

As far as your stock list. In the past I have had swordtails that were jumpers. Don't know if that is natural for them or if they were being harrassed by other fishes or what. I had a 150 gallon with a trio of swords and all three committed tank-a-side by jumping. Just some input. If you do swordtails, start by stocking a couple of females before any males and monitor their behavior.

Regal

I love the look of an open top tank with plants growing above the surface and a light suspended from the top. I had a plant that once that was sold as a sword plant but started growing crazy fast with long stalks. It was growing above the surface and I eventually had to throw it away. Anyway...lol I found some great pics of tanks with the same type of plant that looked really awesome. I hope to see pics if you decide to do and open top

Shawnie

I like the looks also of the plants growing out..a buddy of mine has one...but he has NO kids, NO other pets and not allot of traffic in his house...id never be able to attempt it because little fingers would be in there, tons of dog hair and dandruff, not to mention dust and particles as I'm always running ceiling fans...but please share pics when you can!

Random

matt11390 said:
I converted my 33g from a closed top to an open. Like you I like the open look better. I can get better views looking down through the water and plants. It enables me to observe and monitor things better. Plus to me it is more appealing and natural. You will have a little faster water evaporation so you may need to top off your water more frequently.

As far as your stock list. In the past I have had swordtails that were jumpers. Don't know if that is natural for them or if they were being harrassed by other fishes or what. I had a 150 gallon with a trio of swords and all three committed tank-a-side by jumping. Just some input. If you do swordtails, start by stocking a couple of females before any males and monitor their behavior.
Well I already have 1 male and 1 female swordtail so I will get a couple for girls for him, maybe that way he will be less inclined to jump with 3 odd girlfriends

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom