Open Poll: Top 10 Most Important Fresh Water Concepts

H Farnsworth

As the title somewhat describes I am looking to get an idea on what everyone considers to be essential fundamental concepts in freshwater aquariums. Concepts like the nitrogen cycle to name one. Anyone got any?

StarGirl

Not over feeding.

LadfromLondon

Tank size in relation to the stocking for the tank

Dunk2

Compatible fish.

Jibletjames

Water testing

redmare

Proper group sizes of schooling fish

NBettas83

Having medications on hand/knowing your diseases.

Sorg67

Stable is more important than perfect

flyinGourami

Doing your water changes. I'de rather do water changes 3 times a week than test every 3 days.

NBettas83

bgntoc said:
Doing your water changes. I'de rather do water changes 3 times a week than test every 3 days.
You read my mind.

Deku-Cory

Jibletjames said:
Water testing
I like to say "Owning a fish tank without a test kit is like taking your driver's exam with the windshield blacked out. Even if you know what you're doing, you don't know what's going on, and something is probably going to go terribly wrong."

Jibletjames

Deku-Cory said:
I like to say "Owning a fish tank without a test kit is like taking your driver's exam with the windshield blacked out. Even if you know what you're doing, you don't know what's going on, and something is probably going to go terribly wrong."
Very true, and as a supplemental - “shake that nitrate bottle No.2 baby”

NBettas83

Jibletjames said:
Oh I hate doing that, Nitrate is the only annoying test and water gets everywhere when I shake it.

redmare

NBettas83 said:
Oh I hate doing that, Nitrate is the only annoying test and water gets everywhere when I shake it.
ugh i know, thats the worst! i always wrap a kleenex around it for shaking it because i hated the little yellow droplets everywhere

Fahn

Lots of plants + low biological load = balance

StarGirl

redmare said:
ugh i know, thats the worst! i always wrap a kleenex around it for shaking it because i hated the little yellow droplets everywhere
I do the same thing!

SnookusFish

People should plant their plants in the right way. People always bury java fern and put root feeders in sand...smh research the plant first

Hugooo

redmare said:
Lol I thought that was just me. I thought I had a crack in my bottle! :rolleyes: :oops:

But seriously though, API needs to design better glass bottles!

FinalFins

Keep underbred fish. And understock.

Water changes. Stable is key.

Hugooo

You can't (successfully) grow carpeting plants without CO2.

FinalFins

Forgot one-

Healthy balanced varied diets for fish.

Hugooo

Also,

KEEP. BETTAS. IN. A. 3.5 GALLON. OR. LARGER.

UnknownUser

Sorg67 said:
Stable is more important than perfect
So important!!! I tried messing with my kh/gh/ph at first to get “perfect” and got wild swings, my poor fish.

Jibletjames said:
My test hasn’t been reading right (too high) and API said it’s because I didn’t time the bottle#2 to shake it for the EXACT amount of time, so they’re sending me a new one for free to test if that’s the problem! SHAKE IT BABY

FinalFins said:
Keep underbred fish
Ugh yes, I was told to get guppies for a first fish... god they are the most unhealthy overbred things ever.

H Farnsworth

nice, keep em coming.

Jibletjames

Hugooo said:
Lol I thought that was just me. I thought I had a crack in my bottle! :rolleyes: :oops:

But seriously though, API needs to design better glass bottles!
It's the test tube lottery - every now and again you get a tube/cap combo that doesnt leak and I've been lucky enough to have 2 like that so I make sure they are kept separate from the other tubes so I dont mix them up again:)

Raideress

something i learnt recently dont do a large water change and then add the aquarium salt all at once in the last small top up, you will end up wondering why you water has such an awful haze/fog that water changes dont fix a UV filter didnt fix, thank god for google and me finding doing that can precipitate calcium in the water, but only found it after i took out EVERYTHING except the fish and all the water, washed my sand and everything :( yay lesson learned, switch brain on :)

Gel0city

Your goldfish/betta/corydoras cannot eat their poop and algae and survive off of that. They aren't cleaner fish.

flyinGourami

Gel0city said:
Your goldfish/betta/corydoras cannot eat their poop and algae and survive off of that. They aren't cleaner fish.
Add a pleco(common pleco usually). Almost every beginner tank I've ever seen has one.

Gel0city

bgntoc said:
Add a pleco(common pleco usually). Almost every beginner tank I've ever seen has one.
Usually it's because of their LFS trying to sell them the fish (I don't hate it, just that it is often mistreated) and stating the improper gallon size tank for it. Seeing pictures of a common pleco in a ten gallon is very scary.

flyinGourami

Gel0city said:
Usually it's because of their LFS trying to sell them the fish (I don't hate it, just that it is often mistreated) and stating the improper gallon size tank for it. Seeing pictures of a common pleco in a ten gallon is very scary.
Yes, i feel like they're often sold as "cleaner fish" which is why people want them. The first aquarium fish I ever saw was a common pleco with some goldfish.

Gel0city

bgntoc said:
Yes, i feel like they're often sold as "cleaner fish" which is why people want them. The first aquarium fish I ever saw was a common pleco with some goldfish.
When I was just beginning I really wanted plecos, but luckily was advised against (because I had a small tank). Without doing research I bought cories a few years ago, thinking they were cleaner fish. They aren't, but are one of my favorite fish to this day.

SM1199

Medication won't fix that. Clean water will.

Mongo75

If you can afford tanks, filters, and livestock, you can afford internet. Use it! Google is your friend :). Do your own research. Asking the kid at Big-Box isn't research. BUY your own test kit. And, lastly, don't throw away your filter cartridges when you do your monthly, 10% water change!!!!!

CichlidFreak7000

Never knowingly risk your fish's health. You WILL regret it.

nikm128

Clean water is the best medicine for simple ailments

AquaticQueen

Jibletjames said:
It's the test tube lottery - every now and again you get a tube/cap combo that doesnt leak and I've been lucky enough to have 2 like that so I make sure they are kept separate from the other tubes so I dont mix them up again:)
Out of 4 test tubes in my test kit, only one leaks, but I try to use it only for pH since you only have to shake it for about 3-5 seconds and you get less water/"chemical pH testy stuff" all over everything.

goldface

Think! Don't just read something and accept it as truth. Ask yourself if it makes sense.

And less is more. No one needs 3 or 4 different bottles for every water change, and it's better to keep a consistent, regular water change regimen than having a test kit and Prime to detoxify. Just do a water change!

yeti79

Just like fish, plants need fed too.

nikm128

yeti79 said:
Just like fish, plants need fed too.
This is a good one, when I first got into plants I thought it was as simple as stick them in the substrate and they'll grow. Come to find out there are root feeders and water column feeders which need root tabs and liquid ferts respectively

Michelle2468135

Quarantining fish before putting them in a tank with others.

Top Bottom