Opaline gourami Question

1. wooza Member Member

Hi guys,

The fins on my opaline gouramis appear to be turning a pinky red. Does anybody know the cause for this?

2. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Not familiar with Opalines, so if that isn't normal for their coloring...check your water parameters asap. Amonia and nitrites can cause that in their fins...circulation and oxygen problems....tank temps ok?

3. wooza Member Member

Hi Ted, thanks for the help.

Since my post I have re-introduced an airstone. I was previously relying on the agitation caused by my filter, which up to now worked. This however has not helped the gourami. His condition has deteriorated. He now spends all of his time with his nose at the surface, he has lost lots of weight and not only are his fins reddy pink, they are also perishing. I don't think he has long left now. I also recently lost my female swordtail but she didn't display the same symptoms. Her stomach was bloated though when I fished her out.

My ammonia and nitrite readings are both 0 and I havn't added anything that I would consider dangerous to the tank withing a 3 month period. I did however add 2 dwarf gouramis a month or so ago, and incidentally one of them did pass after just a few days. (stupidly I did not quarantine them) believe me lessons have been learned.

What do you think is wrong with my fishies guys? Could it be an internal parasite?