Opaline Gourami

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by Cichlidnut, Mar 10, 2012.

1. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I was thinking of getting an Opaline Gourami, my LFS has them on sale. Do you guys think they would do ok in a 29 gallon with a Jewel Cichlid. The Jewel is pretty mellow.

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

IMO it wouldn't be a good idea. The Jewel may be mellow now but they are known for their aggressive temperament. In addition I think that Opalines should be kept in tanks bigger than a 29g cause they get quite large.

3. OP
    OP
    C

CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

This is why I am asking. Everywhere I've seen says the need a 20 gallon. I guess I wont add anything to the tank.

4. RogueAgent94

Yeah they get to be 6"+ in most cases so I doubt a 29g would be large enough.

5. OP
    OP
    C

Can you think of anything that would work in a 29 with a Jewel and some corys? I'd like a little more activity then what it's at but if I should just leave the tank alone I can do that.

6. RogueAgent94

Another Jewel?? Rasboras seem to do well with Jewels. African Butterflyfish do well with them but I cannot remember if they will fit in a 29g.

7. OP
    OP
    C

Can't find any of that stuff around here sadly. I've never seen another Jewel Cichlid in my LFS since I've gotten this one. I don't recall ever seeing rasboras but I'll look today.

8. RogueAgent94

What about Butterflies? I just checked my profile on them and it says 30"+ Aquarium for a group. 29g are three feet long right?

9. bowcrazyWell Known MemberMember

My 29/30 gallon tanks are 32 inches which is not quite 3 feet but close - only 4 inches off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice