Opaline Gourami

1. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I was thinking of getting an Opaline Gourami, my LFS has them on sale. Do you guys think they would do ok in a 29 gallon with a Jewel Cichlid. The Jewel is pretty mellow.

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

IMO it wouldn't be a good idea. The Jewel may be mellow now but they are known for their aggressive temperament. In addition I think that Opalines should be kept in tanks bigger than a 29g cause they get quite large.

3. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

This is why I am asking. Everywhere I've seen says the need a 20 gallon. I guess I wont add anything to the tank.

4. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah they get to be 6"+ in most cases so I doubt a 29g would be large enough.

5. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Can you think of anything that would work in a 29 with a Jewel and some corys? I'd like a little more activity then what it's at but if I should just leave the tank alone I can do that.

6. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Another Jewel?? Rasboras seem to do well with Jewels. African Butterflyfish do well with them but I cannot remember if they will fit in a 29g.

7. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Can't find any of that stuff around here sadly. I've never seen another Jewel Cichlid in my LFS since I've gotten this one. I don't recall ever seeing rasboras but I'll look today.

8. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

What about Butterflies? I just checked my profile on them and it says 30"+ Aquarium for a group. 29g are three feet long right?

9. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

My 29/30 gallon tanks are 32 inches which is not quite 3 feet but close - only 4 inches off.