Opaline Gourami experts, anyone?

Brittany Rismiller

Member
I'm dying (desperate) to figure out what in the world is wrong with my female Opaline Gourami, Pauline the Opaline. Before I spend time explaining what's wrong and then only to see comments like, "well I don't know about gouramis, but it could be...", I really need actual help from people who have/do owned/own an Opaline Gourami. I mean, I've had her over 3 years, wonderful tank, normal parameters, calm home environment (zero kids, quiet home) etc., I'm beginning to lose a little patience with her because there's no reason she should be acting this way. I've done extensive research and can't find a single reason. I'll explain what's up when I find people who can help. Thanks.
 

Crispii

Member
jinjerJOSH22
 

CoryBoi

Member
We are going to need,
water parameters
tank stocking
tank size
I also second jinjerJOSH22
 
  • Thread Starter

Brittany Rismiller

Member
CoryFan said:
We are going to need,
water parameters
tank stocking
tank size
I also second jinjerJOSH22
0ppm amm
0ppm nitrites
40ppm nitrates

1 Opaline Gourami
1 Honey Gourami
6 gold dust mollies
1 African dwarf frog
11 serpae tetras
9 bronze cory cats
2 otos
4 Amano shrimp
2 BN plecos (will be rehoming 1 soon)
Tiger nerite snail

50 gallon tank
Two HOB Aquaclear 70 filters
One 80 gallon rated sponge filter
One 40 gallon rated sponge filter
Lighting- koval led, brg
Live plants
 

jinjerJOSH22

Member
Brittany Rismiller said:
I'm dying (desperate) to figure out what in the world is wrong with my female Opaline Gourami, Pauline the Opaline. Before I spend time explaining what's wrong and then only to see comments like, "well I don't know about gouramis, but it could be...", I really need actual help from people who have/do owned/own an Opaline Gourami. I mean, I've had her over 3 years, wonderful tank, normal parameters, calm home environment (zero kids, quiet home) etc., I'm beginning to lose a little patience with her because there's no reason she should be acting this way. I've done extensive research and can't find a single reason. I'll explain what's up when I find people who can help. Thanks.
I wouldn’t consider myself an expert but I do keep them
Tell me what the issue is and I’ll have a go.
It might be tomorrow when I answer.
 
  • Thread Starter

Brittany Rismiller

Member
I wanted to swap that pic for a better one but it didn't take:
 

CoryBoi

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
I wouldn’t consider myself an expert but I do keep them
Tell me what the issue is and I’ll have a go.
It might be tomorrow when I answer.
You may not consider yourself an expert but we consider you fishlore’s very own gouramI master!
 
  • Thread Starter

Brittany Rismiller

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
I wouldn’t consider myself an expert but I do keep them
Tell me what the issue is and I’ll have a go.
It might be tomorrow when I answer.
She is TERRIFIED of me, only comes out of hiding when I'm more than 5 feet from the tank, and FREAKS the heck out if I get near the tank, even if I creep up slowly. She will freak out so badly sometimes that she will bash herself into the glass or items in the tank and I'm worried she is going to end up hurting herself. It's ridiculous and she's my main display fish so she's been disappointing the past 3-1/4 years that I've had her. I do at least a weekly water change of 25-50% and try to get another 25% change in between. I really like her and want the best for her but I dint know what to do anymore. I'm about to set up a 28 gallon tank for the mollies, the honey gourami, and one of the BN plecos. Hopefully that will help
 

jinjerJOSH22

Member
Brittany Rismiller said:
She is TERRIFIED of me, only comes out of hiding when I'm more than 5 feet from the tank, and FREAKS the heck out if I get near the tank, even if I creep up slowly. She will freak out so badly sometimes that she will bash herself into the glass or items in the tank and I'm worried she is going to end up hurting herself. It's ridiculous and she's my main display fish so she's been disappointing the past 3-1/4 years that I've had her. I do at least a weekly water change of 25-50% and try to get another 25% change in between. I really like her and want the best for her but I dint know what to do anymore. I'm about to set up a 28 gallon tank for the mollies, the honey gourami, and one of the BN plecos. Hopefully that will help
My male is was the same for a the first year I had him, then I added him to a group of other three spots and he became so much more confident to the point that I can occasionally feed him by hand.
It’s made me realise how social they are and how they should be kept in a group.

I would consider adding 2 to 3 more with a maximum 1 male. I would also consider getting a few more Honey’s for the same reason.
I hope this helps
 
  • Thread Starter

Brittany Rismiller

Member
That's a great idea that I have heard elsewhere too. When I move the mollies and others, I will get a few more female Opaline Gouramis. The mollies do bother her, they don't chase or nip but they chase each other and cause tension in the whole tank. I'm struggling a little with the plants I have, I may just need to add root fertilizer, I dose liquid ferts. I also think I need to upgrade my light. I think it's starting to dim. My Opaline loves the plants and I'd love to get a load of jungle val for her and the new gouramis I get.

Do you think adding several female powder blue dwarf gouramis would go ok with the female Opalines?

Trying a pic again:


Cropped it, maybe it'll work now
 

jinjerJOSH22

Member
Brittany Rismiller said:
That's a great idea that I have heard elsewhere too. When I move the mollies and others, I will get a few more female Opaline Gouramis. The mollies do bother her, they don't chase or nip but they chase each other and cause tension in the whole tank. I'm struggling a little with the plants I have, I may just need to add root fertilizer, I dose liquid ferts. I also think I need to upgrade my light. I think it's starting to dim. My Opaline loves the plants and I'd love to get a load of jungle val for her and the new gouramis I get.

Do you think adding several female powder blue dwarf gouramis would go ok with the female Opalines?

Trying a pic again:
I don't think it would be a good idea adding the female Dwarf GouramI but it may work. There's a good chance you'll end up with a tank of stressed fish which obviously would be bad.
 
  • Thread Starter

Brittany Rismiller

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
I don't think it would be a good idea adding the female Dwarf GouramI but it may work. There's a good chance you'll end up with a tank of stressed fish which obviously would be bad.
I'll not add blue dwarf. Thank you!

Another concern that I wanted to add about my female opaline is that of course, they need to come up for air every now and again and when she goes up for air, she does it super quickly and swims down even quicker and then goes and hides behind the plants. I will be watching from a completely different room and she still does it. I really am starting to think that the mollies are stressing her out terribly. I'm having a stand made for my 28 gallon so it's not ready for me to move the mollies yet. I hope to get the stand very soon, but I may need to temporarily set the tank up just to get the mollies out. I only plan on keeping maybe two or three males in the 28gal and giving the rest of the mollies to my fish store.
 

jinjerJOSH22

Member
Brittany Rismiller said:
Another concern that I wanted to add about my female opaline is that of course, they need to come up for air every now and again and when she goes up for air, she does it super quickly and swims down even quicker and then goes and hides behind the plants. I will be watching from a completely different room and she still does it. I really am starting to think that the mollies are stressing her out terribly. I'm having a stand made for my 28 gallon so it's not ready for me to move the mollies yet. I hope to get the stand very soon, but I may need to temporarily set the tank up just to get the mollies out. I only plan on keeping maybe two or three males in the 28gal and giving the rest of the mollies to my fish store.
You reminded me mine do it in groups, it's kind of neat. One will do it then three others follow suit.

Mollies make for bad GouramI tankmates, usually more so with Dwarf Gourami, it's part of the reason I just don't like them
 

DoubleDutch

Member
Not an expert but could it be that an aging female gouramI (adult) needs companions of their own species to feel secure? One of the reasons why I think keeping single fish isn't a good idea.
 
  • Thread Starter

Brittany Rismiller

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
You reminded me mine do it in groups, it's kind of neat. One will do it then three others follow suit.

Mollies make for bad GouramI tankmates, usually more so with Dwarf Gourami, it's part of the reason I just don't like them
 

Amazoniantanklvr

Member
Interesting topic. My opaline was always very calm, not skittish and I fed her by hand sometimes too. She way a real lady. Sorry that I can't help.
 
  • Thread Starter

Brittany Rismiller

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
You reminded me mine do it in groups, it's kind of neat. One will do it then three others follow suit.

Mollies make for bad GouramI tankmates, usually more so with Dwarf Gourami, it's part of the reason I just don't like them
That's so cool! I'm definitely going to add more of her kind, start with 2 more opalines, maybe 3. But only after I remove 1 of the 2 the BN plecos (their fighting causes tension throughout the whole tank), AND the 5 mollies that are left. There are 2 male mollies that I'd LOVE to keep because they are so pretty and healthy, and I'd keep them in the 28 gal, but we shall see. I'm stupid for getting the mollies in the first place but you live and learn, right?

My brother is the one making the stand for my 28 gal and he should have been done with it by now but I'm patient lol. You better believe the minute he's finished with it, that 28 gal tank will be set up, I'll seed the water with established filter media and have the trouble makers in there soon after. And eventually, hopefully within the next year, I'll be upgrading my 50 gal to a 75 gal, and just switch everything over. I only want 1 big tank at a time and probably just sell the empty 50 gal.

Now, introducing my 3 year old African dwarf frog
(Trying photo AGAIN...I keep having issues with my photos not showing after I upload arrgh)


I wish my photo would show, but trying one more time...even though African dwarf frogs all look basically the same lol
 

Amazoniantanklvr

Member
You have a beautiful tank!
 
  • Thread Starter

Brittany Rismiller

Member

jinjerJOSH22

Member
Brittany Rismiller said:
That's so cool! I'm definitely going to add more of her kind, start with 2 more opalines, maybe 3. But only after I remove 1 of the 2 the BN plecos (their fighting causes tension throughout the whole tank), AND the 5 mollies that are left. There are 2 male mollies that I'd LOVE to keep because they are so pretty and healthy, and I'd keep them in the 28 gal, but we shall see. I'm stupid for getting the mollies in the first place but you live and learn, right?

My brother is the one making the stand for my 28 gal and he should have been done with it by now but I'm patient lol. You better believe the minute he's finished with it, that 28 gal tank will be set up, I'll seed the water with established filter media and have the trouble makers in there soon after. And eventually, hopefully within the next year, I'll be upgrading my 50 gal to a 75 gal, and just switch everything over. I only want 1 big tank at a time and probably just sell the empty 50 gal.

Now, introducing my 3 year old African dwarf frog
(Trying photo AGAIN...I keep having issues with my photos not showing after I upload arrgh)


I wish my photo would show, but trying one more time...even though African dwarf frogs all look basically the same lol
Be prepared for some aggression, they are an aggressive species after all and it's part of how they interact with each other, I'd lean towards adding 3. I'd also lean towards getting them fairly young, to give yours the responsibility of being the dominant fish
Your tank is perfect for a group, plenty of sight breaks and cover around the surface.

"You live and learn" i'm not so sure
I seem to make the same mistakes every time I go to my lfs
 
  • Thread Starter

Brittany Rismiller

Member
DoubleDutch said:
Not an expert but could it be that an aging female gouramI (adult) needs companions of their own species to feel secure? One of the reasons why I think keeping single fish isn't a good idea.
Once I get several more opaline gouramis I'll be sure to post photos and updates on her well being, so long as the app lets me post the photos. I'll also show my future new tank where I'll be separating out the mollies and 1 bristlenose pleco

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Be prepared for some aggression, they are an aggressive species after all and it's part of how they interact with each other, I'd lean towards adding 3. I'd also lean towards getting them fairly young, to give yours the responsibility of being the dominant fish
Your tank is perfect for a group, plenty of sight breaks and cover around the surface.

"You live and learn" i'm not so sure
I seem to make the same mistakes every time I go to my lfs
Absolutely gorgeous tank and fish! You've done an amazing job!
 

JettsPapa

Member
jinjerJOSH22 said:
Mollies make for bad GouramI tankmates, usually more so with Dwarf Gourami, it's part of the reason I just don't like them
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I got rid of mine because I was tired of them chasing the corys away from every scrap of food they found.
 

Amythe

Member
Brittany Rismiller said:
I'm dying (desperate) to figure out what in the world is wrong with my female Opaline Gourami, Pauline the Opaline. Before I spend time explaining what's wrong and then only to see comments like, "well I don't know about gouramis, but it could be...", I really need actual help from people who have/do owned/own an Opaline Gourami. I mean, I've had her over 3 years, wonderful tank, normal parameters, calm home environment (zero kids, quiet home) etc., I'm beginning to lose a little patience with her because there's no reason she should be acting this way. I've done extensive research and can't find a single reason. I'll explain what's up when I find people who can help. Thanks.
Ive kept them before and yes, Pls dont worry, if other fish bullied her or she has scared herslf, this is common. givie her time she will be fine
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom