Opaline gourami doesnt eat

Turnkeyagenda24

My opaline gourami wont eat and stays in a corner all day. I tryed picking him up with a net and he didnt care. also i can roll he over and he dosnt fight against it.

PurityNWhiteRoses

Can you please fill out the Emergency form so the forum can best diagnose and help your fish?

Thanks!

Turnkeyagenda24

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank: 55 gallons
How long has the tank been running: 8 days with fish
Does it have a filter: yes
Does it have a heater: yes
What is the water temperature: 77
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 opaline gourami 5 zebra danios 2 sword fish 2 buenos aires tetras 2 plecos

Maintenance
How often do you change the water: havent changed it
How much of the water do you change havent changed it
What do you use to treat your water Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water i have a siphon vacume

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? no
What do you use to test the water? api freshwater master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? just enough for them to eat in 2 minutes
What brand of food do you feed your fish? topfin color enhancing tropical flakes
Do you feed frozen? no
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 8 days
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 3-4 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? doesnt eat dosnt care about anything
Have you started any treatment for the illness? no
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? half his feeler was broken
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? his behavior has changed from a eager eater to ignoring food

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
So he wont eat and when i pick him up in a net he doesnt care/do anything. and i can flip him onto his back. he swims just a little bit not that much so he is alive.
PLEASE HELP

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, this honestly doesn't sound good to me :(
So he wont eat and when i pick him up in a net he doesnt care/do anything. and i can flip him onto his back. he swims just a little bit not that much so he is alive.
When fish are at this point there is usually nothing much anyone can do for them.

It could be that you bought a sick fish and the stress from settling into a new home was too much for it to handle. Could you post a picture of the tank?

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? no
What do you use to test the water? api freshwater master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4
This strikes me as unusual, though you don't have a heavy stocking so it is possible in a planted tank you get readings like this. But it seems still unlikely you would register nothing in an uncycled aquarium.
Not calling you a liar here, just to be clear.
Could be you didn't wait long enough or shake the bottles hard enough(especially the nitrate test) or you could have a faulty test.

Anyway, this would unlikely be the sole cause of what is wrong but it would certainly add to it.

What kind of filter do you have?
A picture of the tank can really help identify potential issues.

Turnkeyagenda24

i have a top fin pf-l
(the filter has clogged alot)
okay i just fed my fish gourami didnt eat, now 5th day of not eating
Could he have swim bladder?

jinjerJOSH22

i have a top fin pf-l
(the filter has clogged alot)
okay i just fed my fish gourami didnt eat, now 5th day of not eating
Could he have swim bladder?
Swim bladder is an organ and issues with it are usually symptoms and not the actual cause.

Im assuming it doesn’t produce a lot of flow then?

Turnkeyagenda24

i had to turn the flow down because it floods over the back when i hace it on max
is there a better HOB filter then it that doesnt clog every 2 days?

jinjerJOSH22

i had to turn the flow down because it floods over the back when i hace it on max
is there a better HOB filter then it that doesnt clog every 2 days?
You want as little flow as possible when keeping Gourami.
Personally I'm a big fan of sponge filters. Never used a HOB.
I also quite like canisters but they are a little more expensive. I can't really recommend any specific ones.

PurityNWhiteRoses

I have a canister, and it is life-changing. My gouramis like it, and I barely have any algae. I'm not sure what brand, but I think it's a Fluval.

Turnkeyagenda24

whats a canister?
whats a sponge filter?

Turnkeyagenda24

Update: i flushed the gourami to end his misery, his fins were chewed off and he couldnt swim. we will now all remember ralph, my first gourami. :(

Cue

Update: i flushed the gourami to end his misery, his fins were chewed off and he couldnt swim. we will now all remember ralph, my first gourami. :(
In the future, please never, ever flush fish. It isn't a humane form of euthanasia in any aspect. keep some clove oil on hand and learn how to use it, then either bury the fish (1.5-3 ft is preferred depth) far away from any natural water sources, ask your local vet if they will cremate them, or dispose of the body in the trash. I'm sorry for your loss.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
acesleft
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies
Views