oops the perfect start??

dazzler

Reaction score
o.k I have to be different why?...mum told me!! this is what I have done and am ready for the comments I have themed my tank its not your usual aqauarium rocks plants looks like the bottom of the ocean kind of tank. I will post a photo soon. originally I wanted to have like an amusement park at the bottom rollercoasters ferris wheels merry go round ... you catch my drift 4 or so ornaments trees and the norm but but I looked high and low for these kind of ornaments to no avail . so I have set it up differently.Finally here is the question I am about to do is silicone the whole back wall with proper ornamental tiles to complete the ultimate back drop aquarium safe of course. what are the drawbacks??? all and any help is appreciated dazzler..

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Dino can probably help you more on what you can put safely into your tank that is not an "official" aquarium ornament. There's probably a lot of stuff out there that could be aquarium safe that would be really cool for your tank.

As far a using silicone for tiling your back glass, I see nothing wrong with that. Make sure the glaze used on the tiles is safe for your fishies. Keep in mind that if you decide you don't like that look later, it will be a lot of work taking the tile off. There is nothing wrong with not having a conventional tank. However, there are some advantages to life plants and other natural things in your tank. A moss wall would be cool in any tank, and would also help with your water quality.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can also get syrofoam and cut it to form whatever you like and put in the back of your tank. I'm working on making an amusement park tank, finding the ornemants is tough but I'v found a few, just finding the money since I can only working in the spring and fall since i"m too young for another job is tough right now.

Austin

OP
D

dazzler

Reaction score
but what about algae growing behind the silicone in between the glassand tiles maybe I should silicone on say a a piece of glass and slide this inside the tank for ease of cleaning the backdrop tiles are a must (already bought and very expensive!!) as they are 3D and I fell inlove with they way they look!! also I will have normal gravel and also blue gravel and am not wanting the two to be mixed up as the aquascape will lose the desired effect (no bottom stone sucking fish) am I going in too deep???? I'm stressing more than the fish ever will !!

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
I think you should decorate your tank the way you want to, as long as your fish don't suffer for it. Siliconing the tiles onto a piece of glass is a good idea. You will just have to make sure the glass stays flush against the back. It will be impossible for you to keep the gravel from getting mixed together if you are conductin proper maintenance in your tank. In order to clean the gravel, you must use a gravel vacuum, and you must clean it thoroughly all the way to the bottom of the tank. It will suck up the gravel, and pull the waste up through the hose. Failure to thoroughly clean the gravel could result in a bad bacteria that builds up in pockets where the gravel remains undisturbed, and if these gasses get released, they can kill your fish. Keeping the gravel stirred though routine maintenance keeps this from happening.

OP
D

dazzler

Reaction score
thanks gunnie, I think a modification of the aquascape is indeed in order. however I have bought all the stuff ready to do this such aquascape!! I'm a kid in a candy store! the tank isn't out of the box yet either and I have put myself in a straight jacket in order to stop touching! maybe silicone litle glass dividers to the bottom of the tank to separate my stones will help????

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
The glass dividers would be good, but how are you gonna hide them?

OP
D

dazzler

Reaction score
what I have I mind is 3 islands made of gravel 1 in each back corner ornament on top with a bridge connecting to the main island in the centre at the back big orniment there the rest of the tank will be in blue gravel (to represent water) the glass diveiders will be about 1 inch high and I guess I will have to silicone gravel to it so it blends in. I don't mind spending the time to get it right. but will the maintenance be difficult because my aquascape is intricate. and because of this I don't want stone sucking fish is that gonna be a problem too!!??

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
You don't have to have any type of catfish in your tank if you don't want to. You simply will have to maintain the algae manually. Your tank sounds like it's gonna be a little high maintenance to keep the look you want. Just make sure you are ready for that.

OP
D

dazzler

Reaction score
I think so too! I will run a fishless nitrogencycle and test my patience with the maintenance. I have lots of time on my hands. would it be best to run an undergravel filter to avoid using a gravel vacuum

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You don't want undergravel fitlers since they don't last all that long and the gunk gets stuck there leading to high ammonia and other levels. You have a good idea going, you can always over filter to help pick up more stuff and you could use a bubble wall for a waterfall for added circulation so less junk settles on the ground.

Austin

P.S. you can start a journal on your tank in the journal section, just PM mike for your own board and when he gets time he'l add one for you.

OP
D

dazzler

Reaction score
thanks Austin, it seems every time I hit a wall,you guys provide the ladder. I wil perservere as I have bought all the equipment. and make minor mods as I stumble across them. I just brought a HUGE filter but does this mean I also have to run my "in the lid"filter too? can your water be too clean

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well first what type of tank do you have, what's the filter in the hood, filter you bought, how much light do you have, and how many gph(gallons per hour) do each of your filters use. Or liters.

Austin

OP
D

dazzler

Reaction score
bought a jebao 1200 litres per hour think that's roughly 300gph not sure about the hood filter its a 4ft long x 2ft high x 1.5ft width tank I think it roughly 250 litres triple media filter. keeping small active fish that swim a lot I like busy fish. hopefully 15-20 in total

OP
D

dazzler

Reaction score
sorry Austin i'm a KiwI from new zealand living in australia we got the crazy metric thing happening over here the dimensions are 120cm x 61cm x 45cm I was trying to convert to inches obviously I'm wrong but they be the measurements... dazed and confused yet??!!

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well 120cm is 49, 61 is 24, and 45 is 17 which still gives you 86 gallons. So you were right orignially. So you have a 300gph filter and a 250gph filter giving you 550 gph with you need another 300 would be hepful for you. Also with a 86 gallon tank you can have lots of fish, not just 15-20. Is this all right, if so do you think you can get another 300gph filter? Yes I figured you had the metric systme, most people on here are from the US.

Austin

OP
D

dazzler

Reaction score
awesome Austin cheers!!! ;D move house thursday will set it all up on friday! will I need another filter to house more fish is that the go?? I have everything in boxes (bought it all 10 days ago and haven't touched it till I move) so I am going to get back to you on this one. right now the filters will be adequate is that right? for the amount of fish(15-20) my aquascape is going to very different and quite intricate I should have 10 hiding holes will that be sufficient?? I have much research to do.. thanks once again!

kerryve

Reaction score
Gunnie said:
It will suck up the gravel, and pull the waste up through the hose.  Failure to thoroughly clean the gravel could result in a bad bacteria that builds up in pockets where the gravel remains undisturbed, and if these gasses get released, they can kill your fish.  Keeping the gravel stirred though routine maintenance keeps this from happening.     
WOW Gunnie, thanks for posting that! I wasn't aware of that, I alawys thougt that vacuuming the surface of the gravel to pick up all the rubbish would do. Now I know better!

Kerry

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well if the measurements are correct another filter that you purchased extra from the tank should be very helpful though don't worry about buying it right away.  You'l have plenty of time to buy it as I hope you are going to cycle fishless.  Do you know what type of fish you are thinking, if they are small you can get a lot more than 15-20.  Keep us updated please.  I'll try to stop by and help you out with what I can friday but I may not I'm having surgery that day so don't think i'v deserted you. 

I have a few questions
So are you going to make a couple of island sort of things with river's in between them, sort of like a park?  Are you going to be able to post pics? Are you going to make it a planted tank too?

Good Luck with the move

Austin

New Threads