Oops... I Used The Wrong Ammonia... What Now?

Zorro A. Knievel Esq.

I went out and bought Great Value (Wal-Mart Brand) Ammonia to start fishless cycling my tank. I thought it was pure Ammonia and there were no ingredients listed on the back just big bold letters that said "CONTAINS NO PHOSPHORUS"... but when I read the "Eye and Skin Irratation" section it listed Ammonia Hydroxide and when I shake the bottle it forms suds.

I already put 12 drops in with an eye dropper... It's a 75 gallon tank. I tested the Ammonia level right away and it still reads 0 ppm.

How concerned should I be about the surficants I just added and how big of a water change should I perform? Will the activated carbon in my filters help me in anyway? Does anyone have any suggestions of where to get pure ammonia chloride? I can't seem to find Dr. Tim's anywhere locally.

This is what I get for being impatient. I feel like a genius.

danhutchins

Zorro A. Knievel Esq. said:
I went out and bought Great Value (Wal-Mart Brand) Ammonia to start fishless cycling my tank. I thought it was pure Ammonia and there were no ingredients listed on the back just big bold letters that said "CONTAINS NO PHOSPHORUS"... but when I read the "Eye and Skin Irratation" section it listed Ammonia Hydroxide and when I shake the bottle it forms suds.

I already put 12 drops in with an eye dropper... It's a 75 gallon tank. I tested the Ammonia level right away and it still reads 0 ppm.

How concerned should I be about the surficants I just added and how big of a water change should I perform? Will the activated carbon in my filters help me in anyway? Does anyone have any suggestions of where to get pure ammonia chloride? I can't seem to find Dr. Tim's anywhere locally.

This is what I get for being impatient. I feel like a genius.
You have to start over. I would remove everything rinse and boil.

TexasDomer

I don't think you need to boil anything, but I would empty the tank, rinse the media in tap water (since there's no bacteria on there anyway), fill the tank, and try again with an ammonia without a surfactant (no suds). If you're in the US, Ace Hardware might have some pure ammonia.

Zorro A. Knievel Esq.

I've been reading on other sights and people actually use the stuff with surfactants to cycle their tanks then just do a really big (95%) water change before adding fish (I don't want to do this, I'd rather get the right stuff and not risk it). Other people say just a big water change will be alright, no boiling necessary.

TexasDomer

I think the surfactant interferes with the bacterial growth though, not just that it's harmful to fish.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom