Oops. I Did A Big No-no At The Fish Auction. Need A Little Help!

Donnerjay

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, I went to the fish auction tonight. The first mistake was bringing my wallet. Mistake #2 was bidding on fish when I didn't have a tank set up. Mistake #3? Winning bids on two groups of fish.

I've kicked myself enough. Now I have 10 new lives depending on me.

Right now they are temp-acclimating in a two gallon bucket. In the bucket, I set up a small corner filter with some (hopefully) seeded filter media from my five gallon and an air stone.

Tomorrow I'll set up my 29 gallon for them, with pool filter sand. I may have to do a fish-in cycle, as I don't think there's enough bacteria colonized yet.

So here's the stock:

5x cardinal tetras
5x corydoras punctatus

What can go with this stock, if anything? Obviously I'll wait until the tank is cycled to add anything else.

Thanks for your help.

MattS99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
8 Cardinals
8 Corydoras Punctatus
8 Glowlight tetra
2 GBRs or one of their different color varieties, 1M, 1F. Make sure they're paired of course.

DylanM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Try this:
10 cardinal tetras
8 corydoras punctatus
3 Honey Gouramis

goplecos

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MattS99 said:
8 Cardinals
8 Corydoras Punctatus
8 Glowlight tetra
2 GBRs or one of their different color varieties, 1M, 1F. Make sure they're paired of course.
I wouldn't do 2 middle schooling species in a 29. It's not that much bigger than a 20H.

MattS99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
goplecos said:
I wouldn't do 2 middle schooling species in a 29. It's not that much bigger than a 20H.
A 29 is 30 inches long. More than enough for two mid dwelling schools.

JesseMoreira06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't do GBR or Cardinal Tetras, Corydoras Punctatus thrive in the mid 70s I wouldn't go lower then 73F nor higher then 77F for them.

I would suggest

3 Honey Gouramis or 1 Dwarf Gourami
12 Neon Tetras
2 Bolivian Rams (male/female)
8 Corydoras Punctatus

Temp 74F

goplecos

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MattS99 said:
A 29 is 30 inches long. More than enough for two mid dwelling schools.
Not with Cardinals. With a smaller fish like Neons I wouldn't have an issue but cardinals are almost 2 inches. I have a 29 and there isn't enough space in there for 2 schooling fish with Cardinals.

JesseMoreira06 said:
I wouldn't do GBR or Cardinal Tetras, Corydoras Punctatus thrive in the mid 70s I wouldn't go lower then 73F nor higher then 77F for them.

I would suggest

3 Honey Gouramis or 1 Dwarf Gourami
12 Neon Tetras
2 Bolivian Rams (male/female)
8 Corydoras Punctatus

Temp 74F
The OP already has both kinds of fish and I wouldn't worry about rehoming either one. Corydoras Punctatus do well up to 79 (which is perfect for Cardinals), and they can even survive in temps up to 82 for short periods of time.

JesseMoreira06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
goplecos said:
The OP already has both kinds of fish and I wouldn't worry about rehoming either one. Corydoras Punctatus do well up to 79 (which is perfect for Cardinals), and they can even survive in temps up to 82 for short periods of time.
Disagree, wouldn't house Punctatus long term anything above 77F and would thrive in lower temps such as 74F , but we tend to debate about temps a lot so I'll end it off short well agree to disagree once again.

MattS99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
goplecos said:
Not with Cardinals. With a smaller fish like Neons I wouldn't have an issue but cardinals are almost 2 inches. I have a 29 and there isn't enough space in there for 2 schooling fish with Cardinals.

And I disagree with you there, and we'll end it at that.

OP
Donnerjay

Donnerjay

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
UPDATE:

I'm not going to add to the two schools at this time. The fish came from auction and aren't available locally (aside from cardinals from the big box stores).

So.... What additional species could work here?

I'm partial to livebearers --platies and swordtails. (Yes, I know they breed a lot, and I need to plan for fry, and the ratio is 1 male to 2 females). I've never kept cichlids so I'd prefer to avoid those for now.

MattS99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Donnerjay said:
UPDATE:

I'm not going to add to the two schools at this time. The fish came from auction and aren't available locally (aside from cardinals from the big box stores).

I'm partial to livebearers --platies and swordtails. (Yes, I know they breed a lot, and I need to plan for fry, and the ratio is 1 male to 2 females). I've never kept cichlids so I'd prefer to avoid those for now.
You could totally throw some livebearers in there (I prefer platies to all but it's your tank). And cichlids aren't difficult at all if you pick the right kind.

goplecos

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Donnerjay said:
UPDATE:

You could do Platies. I like Swords but the males are sometimes aggressive to the other fish. You could also do Mollies. They have more personality than Platies IMO, but some of the subspecies get too big so you have to be careful which kind to get.

OP
Donnerjay

Donnerjay

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
MattS99 said:
You could totally throw some livebearers in there (I prefer platies to all but it's your tank). And cichlids aren't difficult at all if you pick the right kind.
What kind of cichlids?

goplecos said:
You could do Platies. I like Swords but the males are sometimes aggressive to the other fish. You could also do Mollies. They have more personality than Platies IMO, but some of the subspecies get too big so you have to be careful which kind to get.

OK cool, so I could do either a trio of swordtails or a trio of platies? Or possibly more?

This is turning out to be fun, thanks for the ideas!

Anyone else?

goplecos

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Donnerjay said:
What kind of cichlids?

OK cool, so I could do either a trio of swordtails or a trio of platies? Or possibly more?

This is turning out to be fun, thanks for the ideas!

Anyone else?
Rams are great for community tanks and are relatively hardy. I would do a trio of Platies so you can keep some of the babies. I have a 29 gallon with 3 Rams, 6 Corydoras, and lots of Guppies and Platies. I started out with 3 of each and now I have 2 huge breeding colonies.

OP
Donnerjay

Donnerjay

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
German blue ram, Bolivian ram, other kind ? Male, female?

MattS99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Donnerjay said:
German blue ram, Bolivian ram, other kind ? Male, female?
Regular German blues, gold rams, or electric blue ram. Same species, different color morphs. You'll need to keep your tank at a high temperature and add the rams last, they do better in well established tanks.

OP
Donnerjay

Donnerjay

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll check them out!

Tank temperature now is around 77-78.

MattS99

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Donnerjay said:
I'll check them out!

Tank temperature now is around 77-78.
If you bumped it up to 79-80 the rams would love it. They're just a little sensitive to water parameters, so keep an eye on those. But I'm sure you already do

New Threads