Oops I Cant Believe I Did This!

Guanchy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In this Hobby we all have had those moments where we go to the fish store just to look around or to buy ONE thing and come out with new fish, equipment etc.. that we don't need or have the space for.

Done this a few times lol so I just wanted to hear your stories!!!

Ive done this A LOT of times but I thing the biggest unnecessary thing I did was going to the store to look around and coming out with a whole super expensive CO2 system for a "planted tank" that DID NOT need CO2 at all because it was a bunch of basic low maintenance plants in that tank. Used it for a month and then just had it sitting in a corner of the room for almost a year without using it. smh lol now I look bad and I can't believe I did this.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wait...
You think that’s weird?

I think about every aquarium hobbyist that walks into a fish store with money does this.

When I go to a fish store to “just look”, I end up getting some plants and at least a fish.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I bought a load of pond fish food without reading it carefully. It turned out to be sinking pellets, not the end of the world but I prefer floating pellets in ponds so I can see the fish better.

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes I do this! But mostly just for plants. I'm relatively good at holding back (except for plants, because I always find room for more) but then I saw this poor little baby girl with clamped fins and not looking the best. Impulsively bought her and found out she had velvet, now treating her for it.

Attachments

OP
Guanchy

Guanchy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yeah plants and fish is the normal but I'm pretty sure you aren't spending $200 in fish and plants in just one visit lol

OP
Guanchy

Guanchy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
$200 that I couldnt really spend lol

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Guanchy said:
yeah plants and fish is the normal but I'm pretty sure you aren't spending $200 in fish and plants in just one visit lol
The most I spent was $100 from impulse buys.

I bought:
12 nerites
20 ghost shrimp
2 bunches of rotala
3 multis

I only went there to look and walked out with those guys.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Guanchy said:
$200 that I couldnt really spend lol
Yes, I had regrets impusle buying at a fish store, but then decided that it wasn’t so bad, when I consider other things I probably would have spent on, otherwise.

JLeeM

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've had a couple impulse buys lately. Well....more than a couple, but only two that are worth bringing up.

First, I don't even remember what I went to get, but I ended up bringing home another betta. Along with roughly $60 of equipment, including a 5.5 gallon tank, to house him in.

Second, I went to the bigger PetSmart over an hour away to get frozen pinkies for our snake. I ended up bringing home a nice looking male bolivian ram. So the three little females had to be removed from quarantine about a week early...... I did get my pinkies too though.

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've got incredible self control, I love to go and look through the tanks at whatever store I go to, but I never buy anything. Not saying that I've never been majorly tempted though.
But it helps to remind myself that I don't want to support purchasing livestock from these chain stores. I used to, but now that I have the ability to buy online that's always what I'll do. Now if there was a good LFS near me, I'd probably buy a Cory cat every time I went. Maybe it's a good thing I don't have one!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
75g Discus Tank said:
Wait...
You think that’s weird?

I think about every aquarium hobbyist that walks into a fish store with money does this.

When I go to a fish store to “just look”, I end up getting some plants and at least a fish.
I cannot remember a single time when I went to my LFS, and bought nothing.

New Threads