Oops...did An Impulse Buy

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So I was just at my lfs and saw something sitting in a tank that I hadn't seen in a while, Bosemani Rainbows. This was genuinely the second time I've seen any there in a year, and these ones look great
So now I have..uh...three currently acclimating to their qt tank, I'll get some pics once I set them loose
P.S. My original reason for going was to get more fish food, and maybe some glass cats, or marbled hatchetfish, so naturally I pick the fish I wasn't looking for and is twice as expensive

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So true, they look amazing, can't wait see how much better they look after coloring up too. (I'm holding off on another tank until the next dollar a gallon sale lol)
I'll get some pics up for you in about 20 minutes

LeahsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just picked up 2 today as well. It looks like the male is already “inviting” the young lady to dance.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I'm a bit worried about the white speck and the line down the dorsal fin in this last pic, the end of the fin looks to be a little slouched too

LeahsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’m absolutely giddy over mine. Let’s hope we both have healthy ones. My female looks to have suffered an injury either when being netted or when I transferred her to the tank. I’ve added extra stress coat and the worthless Melafix just to be on the safe side.
IMG_0908.JPG
IMG_0912.JPG

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
@Alex Pasquale I assume you're good with rainbows if you breed them, are mine able to be sexed yet? Anything specific I should be watching out for with these guys

LeahsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
nikm128 said:
@Alex Pasquale I assume you're good with rainbows if you breed them, are mine able to be sexed yet? Anything specific I should be watching out for with these guys
I’d be curious about this too. I thought I had a male and female because I was looking at the first dorsal fin. From what I see online now, the female is supposed to be much duller in color, almost silver. And I notice mine may actually be sparring, not spawning. Oh well, interesting to watch, none the less.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Just lost one it was swimming fine and ate less than an hour ago. Just found it on the filter intake

Addie42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
nikm128 said:
Just lost one it was swimming fine and ate less than an hour ago. Just found it on the filter intake

any cause of death ideas?
so sad to lose a fish you're so excited about

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Not a clue, I even ghost fed the tank to keep the cycle while I decided what to put in it. Can't hurt to check for ammonia I guess. One minute

Angelmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've had mine for almost a year now and they seem to be hardy as little tanks. I keep the temp on both rainbow tanks at 80, pH 7.2, water is pretty hard. Quarantined with Ich X and General Cure with no apparent sensitivities to meds. I keep the bosemanis in a 55 with large angels, rams, some corys and a clown pleco, and they definitely run the tank. The males do spar a bit, but I've never seen anything serious. I've seen a fair amount of chatter about rainbows (particularly bosemani) being badly bred since they're currently so much in demand. In that case, they might be more susceptible to disease. They're also jumpers, so if your guy did some damage to his dorsal side through jumping or other activity, it might explain why the white line and patches run almost directly down the dorsal.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Angelmom said:
I've seen a fair amount of chatter about rainbows (particularly bosemani) being badly bred since they're currently so much in demand. In that case, they might be more susceptible to disease.
I wish I knew that before I got them, I thought they were really uncommon since I've seen them only twice in one year. I knew they were jumpers, probably could've put that together myself if I paid more attention.
Unless I'm mistaken, they like groups right? So now that I only have two, should I try and find some more, or leave the two alone in qt?

Oh yeah, and what makes this situation suck even more, there's one that I actually expect to not last very long since it's eaten maybe once...so unless that changes I'm probably going to only have one soon

Angelmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like maybe you got some bad stock to start with, so don't blame yourself. They do want to be in schools, so I'd advise more than two - four or five at least, if you can, although that calls into question whether you should get them from the same place. On feeding, mine will eat anything but love frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms, so maybe you can tempt them with that?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nick your pics a bit fuzzy. In second pic higher right male lower right may also be male one on left female.
Leah first pic male with 2 stripes other female.
FAB46179-86E2-4DEE-AAC2-400BD2566EA2.jpeg
My male is lowest female above and the smaller one is still a juvenile.(from them).

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'll check where else I can get some then, will the two be ok for ~2 weeks?
I'll try brine shrimp again, he shows almost no interest in food though.
86 ssinit said:
Nick your pics a bit fuzzy. In second pic higher right male lower right may also be male one on left female.
Leah first pic male with 2 stripes other female.View attachment 534650 Mine male is lowest female above and the smaller one is stil a juvenile.(from them).
I think the one that died was female, which would make sense if the others were harassing her. I'll get a pic of the other two when I get home

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom