Oops. Bought A Puffer.

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well it did come with 2 75gals.
I'm hoping a 75 with an FX6 will be fine until I get my 1,200 gal built. Little Mbu is only 4-5" right now. The LFS "1 gal per dollar spent on fish" was too much to resist.

I now have a solution to my snail problem.

Can I just move to feeding it Costco green mussels/shrimp by the bag once it is bigger? I'm guessing local caught (nerfed.. clip clip) crayfish may also be good.

Should I name it "Nibbles"?

1 of the 75s will become a sump once I build the 1200.

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh my gosh! Don’t those guys get to like 2 feet? Gonna be a big boy! I think that dietary plan is a good one. So long as he’s getting something to crunch on to keep his beak trimmed you’re good.

Minxxy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Clams on the half shell, fiddler crabs, muscles, anything hard and crunchy. Check out aquarium coops mbu puffer, Cory talks about Murphy all the time so I'm sure you can pick up good feeding & housekeeping tips

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well it did come with 2 75gals.
I'm hoping a 75 with an FX6 will be fine until I get my 1,200 gal built. Little Mbu is only 4-5" right now. The LFS "1 gal per dollar spent on fish" was too much to resist.

I now have a solution to my snail problem.

Can I just move to feeding it Costco green mussels/shrimp by the bag once it is bigger? I'm guessing local caught (nerfed.. clip clip) crayfish may also be good.

Should I name it "Nibbles"?

1 of the 75s will become a sump once I build the 1200.
I'm pretty happy.
The old spec was 48" on an umbu. I have a local hiker lake where I can grab crays but I also want to feed it the things I love. Even if it lives up to the old 48" stories I think 1200 gal will be OK.
Not great but OK.At 48" I'd prefer to be able to build a 10K tank, I can't afford that.

The acrylic alone will weigh more than 1000Lbs

I have been bringing this fish my snails for months simply because I love it.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Calendar wise, I was Mr Malawi June 1995.
53" chest
28" waist
19" biceps.
We helped save endangered species.
I won the Couch Potato Olympics
35" chest
34" waist
12" bicep
6.5" wrist
LOL (all true though)

Guppygirl88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Calendar wise, I was Mr Malawi June 1995.
53" chest
28" waist
19" biceps.
We helped save endangered species.
Ooops I was looking for the Fishlore Forums and found this strange dating site. What should I do?

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well Nibbles has been in his tank for a week. I have no idea how to sex puffers (other than peas) so I asked my wife if Nibbles is a boy or a girl. She says he is a boy.

So after all my research I'm learning some things.
1. Stocking your tank with snails and thinking it will last a week with a little 3" Mbu is foolhardy. 1 day later the Mbu looks like a bag of marbles and there are no snails left. 1 week later you are feeding your 5" mbu earthworms and snails. I thought these were only supposed to grow ~1" per month. I was planning growth rate to match to tax returns for the big tank build.
2. Nibbles is bad at begging. This means treats get dumped in and he keeps paying attention to me.
3. A bag of marbles suggest Nibbles is not chewing his snails to keep his beak trimmed..
4. A lot more energy than peas have. Will this die down as the fish gets older/bigger? I'm beginning to think my 1,200 gallon tank plan may be a cruel plan.
5. The sickening cuteness of peas is not reduced in a bigger puffer. Must.. not.. put fingers in tank. Nibbles doesn't want to be petted. Nibbles doesn't love me.

Well 40+ gallon Brute snail pail os on its way. Let the mystery breeding commence. I talked to the DNR about zebra mussels and they said "no". They said that the lake near my house is full of mystery/apple snails. Knowing the life cycles of local parasites I think I will go with breeding stock from the local big box no matter how tempting local free food is. Now local crayfish may be a plan but I will have to get a fishing license.

I considered doing daily pics with a clear ruler so people can see how fast Nibbles grows. My Insinkerator doesn't eat things as fast as Nibbles does.

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Would love to see nibbles
I figured throwing worms in would make Nibbles quit swimming the glass like a meth addicted Yoyo loach.
Nibbles is bad at begging... but apparently thinks cameras are interesting.
IMG_20190921_152711.jpg

The UV sterilizer should have everything cleared in a day or 2.
IMG_20190921_152719.jpg

Man am I bad at pictures.

Hmm, I do not see that texture when I look at the fish. Interesting what the camera catches.
IMG_20190921_152659.jpg

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have to email the USDA and see if I can get a permit for African Giant snails. I'm betting they will tell me "no" like the DNR did for Zebra Mussels.

CHJ

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nibbles has become lazy.
He will eat snails like mad when I dump them in but pointing at a snail on the glass that is 1" from his face doesn't lead to him eating it.
Nibbles also quit growing until this week so the explosive growth scare is over. He is a little longer and significantly thicker this week.
Will take photos. .

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom