ooops

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by proudmomoftwins, Mar 22, 2010.

1. proudmomoftwinsValued MemberMember

Yesterday I bought ten neon tetras to add to our aquarium, hoping that they would bring a splash of color to it. This morning when I turned the lights on over the aquarium I counted the fish and only counted eight neons. I counted and recounted again and there are only eight left now. I'm thinking that the parrot fish must have had a good snack during the night. I thought for sure they would be big enough so the parrot fish wouldn't bother them. But after thinking about it, I do remember two tiny lil neons that were a lot smaller then the other ones... and those are the ones that are missing. I hope the other eight neons are safe.

2. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

Parrot fish are cichlids...tetras are more of a community type fish..they dont belong in the same tank together :( your parrots are going to eat the others in the tank when they get older.....

3. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

I agree. As soon as the parrots can surprise the neons, they are toast. :(

Is there any way to return them? You can keep tetras with parrots, but you need to look for larger species like diamonds, columbians, bleeding hearts, Buenos Aires, etc.

4. gunner13Well Known MemberMember

Unfortunatly when you turn your tank lights off the neons rest at the bottom and they are a sitting target for any hungry fish. All you can do is hope for the best. IMO i would return the neons and get something bigger.
    Nick

5. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

:oops:Hello ProudMom,
    I too think it would be in everyone's best interest to remove the Neons :( However, I'm sure the Bloody Parrots enjoy the tasty treat. LOL :oops:I'm sorry, I dont mean to laugh but I can just picture my Bloody Parrots with neons. Not a pretty picture. :)

Best of luck!
    Ken

6. proudmomoftwinsValued MemberMember

Well I just found one of the missing neons stuck to the filter pipe, the other one is still missing. I wasn't thinking and flushed the neon... I should have bagged it and taken it back to the pet store to get another fish. I'm looking around the tank for the other missing neon, maybe the parrots didn't even the fish after all.

7. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Neons are sensitive fish. I got 11 tiny ones at one point for my community tank, and by the next morning there were 9 left (now I have 8). Never found any trace of them.

I agree that the neons are likely to be eaten. You'll have to just decide if you want to return them or let them become an expensive snack... neons as feeder fish? :-\

8. proudmomoftwinsValued MemberMember

I didn't think the parrot fish I have could open their mouth's wide enough to eat another fish, they have such small mouths. The parrot fish has never bothered the danios and the neons aren't much smaller then them. I think I'll just wait it out and see what happens.

9. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

That's good for now, but they will probably disappear as your parrots grow. ;)

I have one that is 7-8 inches total length and could easily snack on a neon. LOL

10. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

im not just concerned about the neons .....but the glofish will be a snack as well ...parrots belong with cichlids as they can be aggressive, but dont usually leave marks as their mouths just arent equipped to do so...but that doesnt mean they wont harass

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice