Ooops / Duh - During Water Change Look What I Found

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by jmaldo, Aug 5, 2017.

1. jmaldo

jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

Normal Saturday water change day. Also, did a little underwater gardening. Went well. Needed to do some things. A few hours later looking for the net to do some skimming. Noticed a shell on the floor. Oh, no it's my Large Mystery Snail. Mind you it's been 3 hours. Looked OK, put it back in the tank. I thought what a doofus, how did it happen. Maybe when I was netting out some debris I accidentally scooped it up. Still do not know. It's back in tank, doing its normal thing, Will be keeping an eye out for any noticeable changed behavior though. I just need to be more careful. :arghh:
    Anybody else.

2. Katie13

Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

I'll probably jinx myself, but I've not had it happen yet. I just moved my two over to my 20H Gold Ram pairing tank without a hood/lid while their tank is undergoing treatment.

3. OP
    OP
    jmaldo

I could not believe my eyes when I saw it on the floor. It must have attach it's self to the net. Lessen learned I hope.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  4. Littlebudda

LittlebuddaWell Known MemberMember

I herd my dog going stupid under the house the other went down to tell the idiot to shut up and he was barking at my large mystery snail that had taken a jump from the 55gal chipped his shell but he seems ok 2 weeks later

5. OP
    OP
    jmaldo

Update, the snail is cruising the tank normally. What a relief. :nailbiting:
    :happy:

6. toolman

toolmanWell Known MemberMember

Good to hear, they are pretty tough usually.

7. THE HABITAT

THE HABITATWell Known MemberMember

crazy story to add to you alls....bought java moss a little while back when i got my amano shrimps and aquired a small ramshorn that must have been inside of it...so a week later he was stuck to my intake so i got him off with the net and he wasnt moving ( thought for sure being stuck to the intake sucked the life out of him...no pun intended )...i had a small fishbowl outside that had extra java moss inside it and a good algae growth so decided to hope he revived and dropped him in...the next day i came home from lunch and he was cruising along the moss...grabbed him up gave him a hug and plopped him back in the tank and has been cruising the tank ever since...

8. purslanegardenWell Known MemberMember

I did one of those DIY bubbler/vacuum things using the top half of a water bottle. I thought I was careful not to get any fish but in the end, a few hours later, I noticed that there was a dead fish in the netting. After that I was more careful about using that contraption again.

9. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Mystery Snails are particularly suited to survival outside the aquarium, as they do breathe air. A friend who was keeping large numbers of very large Mysteries found an egg casing on the wall about three feet above the top of the aquarium. In the wild, they will climb quite high to lay eggs that will stay out of the water, which in some places can rise and fall a couple of feet or more. So a few hours out of the water is nothing to them.

10. Cherie G

Cherie GValued MemberMember

Funny you posted this, was doing my weekly water change and clean up of my 29 gallon tank last night. I like to look for my snails when I do this so they don't get out on décor or get crushed when I put stuff back in etc. I notice that my nerite snail is on the underside of my HOB. Cool no problem except I forget he was there and when I take it off the back of the aquarium to clean some gunk out he falls off and fortunately lands in the bucket of treated water I was going to put back in the aquarium. I put him back in the tank on some drift wood & he seemed fine and was cruising around as is normal for him so no harm done thank goodness!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice