OOooo... All the pretty colors :P

1. HitchHiker Member Member

Well I have been cycling my Rena XP3 filter, in preparation of setting up my 55 gal tank. It looks to me to like it is doing well and I get the sense that I might need to start doing water changes from the bucket to keep the Nitrate levels down and help prevent an algae bloom.

Here is a link to a copy of my spread sheet with all my water test results.

Fish Water

I will me moving the filter to my tank on the 26th just as soon as the tree is down. I then plan on letting the water cycle through til the 28th, and if the water test good then adding the first school of fish to my tank. That being said should start doing water changes on my 5 gal bucket right now to help prevent an algae bloom? What should the the ammonia and Nitrite levels be?

I am sure that I will have more questions as the time gets closer. Thanks for all the help and great information that y'all have been providing me.

2. soccermatt Member Member

looks to me like your doing well. From what i have heard i suggest that you don't do a water change until your about to add fish, since nitrate levels aren't all that important yet.

what type of fish are you planning to add?

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

if you do a water change to help with the algae, my understanding is that it can slow your cycling process down a little

4. shih-tzu mom Well Known Member Member

Meenu; i agree-no water change until you cycle as the algee will clear up sooner or later-and when you do the water change you want to remain cycled-Good Luck-bella