Ooooh squeee baby goldfish?

SpecialPatrolGroup

I have had my goldfish on average for about 16 months. Some of them have got very big in that time. I've never been able to tell the sexes but I had read that they don't really start spawning until they're *at least* a year old. Most of my indoor tanks have livebearers so that's what I'm used to. However, I've started noticing that a couple of my much younger goldfish are chasing around just one of them in particular. When I googled "goldfish mating behaviour" it's definitely exactly what they're doing. So, now I now that Bob is female. Ahaha.

I did a MASSIVE water change the other day, cleaned all the sludge and gunk off the rocks manually, trimmed up the plants, made a summer shade cover for the pond and generally they are all soooo happy. They're really active and playful and gorgeous.

Can this kind of water change spark these behaviours? I've noticed from time to time a bit of half-hearted chasing but now they're really serious about it. Poor Bob.

Is there anything special I need to do / set up for her to lay eggs? Do goldfish eat their eggs? And will she scatter them all over?

Here are Bob and her hopeful lovers, Brian and Baby Bunkin :D

Attachments

• Bob and Bunkin_LI.jpg
    Bob and Bunkin_LI.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22

WRWAquarium

Water changes bring on spawning in many fish so maybe. I'm not sure on goldfish if that's the case. Your definately right about the chasing spawning behaviour.

I've had goldfish reproduce in a pond before. I didn't do anything, didn't know eggs were laid just noticed baby fish one day.

I will say that despite me having the standard orange/red comet goldfish parents... Every single one of the babies was dark brown and stayed that color.

Pond looks beautiful by the way :)

SallImSayin

Not sure. I know cooler water after a water change causes breeding with my corydoras. I bred about a dozen last year and a slightly cooler water change is what I used to kick off the egg laying. I've kept goldfish longer, but I actually don't know. Most of my fish were female and only released eggs randomly.

Valleywren

I know that goldfish like spawning mops in tanks- so maybe hornwort or a similar pond plant for the eggs? Just spitballing

Similar Aquarium Threads

• SpecialPatrolGroup
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
barrynelson336
  • Colt Frost
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Claire Bear
  • Question