Oooh some people..

1. crazedACD Member Member

Warning: rant!

As I've said, I work at a LFS. While it's a pretty rewarding job when I get knowledgeable and "willing to listen" people, much more than half of those who come through just don't even bother doing a single bit of research on the subject. At least on here, most people have done a little bit of search to wind up on a fish forum. I have pretty cheap (under $10) books on basic fishkeeping that I try to push and I have yet to have anyone that would benefit from them buy one. Way too many people stare at me like I have three heads when trying to explain (in laymans terms) about the nitrogen cycle.

If it was up to me, 10g tanks would be abolished...seems everyone has a 10g with 374 fish in it or like 6 oscars, and they wonder why they have problems. One lady came in the other day and got a common pleco and two platies as companions for her oscar and goldfish...in a 10g. When forewarned about <impending doom>, she gave the ole' oh they will be fine, they only grow the size of their tank. :;saber (whoever started that needs to be shot). Another er...family..bought two red tail sharks, two platies, one bala shark, three serpaes, and two male guppies for their 10g..sigh.

If my boss wouldn't have a cow I would also only special order goldfish :D. Lord help me NOT come back as one, the poor things. Sometimes I'm glad the feeder comets are sold as food, so they won't have to suffer in some bowl somewhere or stuffed 20 in a 10g. As much educating and pleading with people as I do, I rarely get anywhere..people are just determined to do what they please. I did deter one girl from buying "Nemo" to put in a bowl...she kept asking well if I get some salt water and put it in a bowl why wouldn't it work??? Grrr...

And people are "knowingly" very cruel to fish...they happily declare they are fish killers while buying 25 fish at once and when warned they say oh, whatever makes it, makes it..it's okay. And the silver dollars, bala sharks, and other large fish...I always warn people how big they get and 80% of the time they respond with something like "Yeah, well, they never make it that long!" (I wonder why...) My coworker told me the other night she was forced to sell some fish to someone who just wanted to experiment with how long they could stay alive in a bag :(. Management dosen't like people complaining in any way, shape, or form, and anyone who complains gets what they want, more or less.

There are VERY sweet people, like the lady who has had an oranda with swim bladder issues alone in a 90g tank for two years and takes it out of the tank to feed him everyday (other fish pick on him), she's even had koi vets look at him and try some different things to fix it. There's the lady who was taking care of her son's oscar in a 10g, he has hole in the head now, but she's talking about getting him a larger tank (and improving maintenance and diet). Very knowledgeable people too, who are extremely careful about picking fish and ask tons of questions and listen...but the idiots outweigh them by far.

/end rant & essay

Edited to add...the salts too, I ask every single person buying salts if they know these are saltwater fish...I've had SEVERAL people say oh really?? what is that? Oof...

2. Kerber23 Member Member

<3 you :D

3. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

It's one thing to be ignorant, seek advice, and learn; it's commendable, imo. But cruelty and indifference to living creatures is disgusting and inexcusable.

I'm glad you're doing what you can to help educate people. :;group

4. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I agree with you 100% and I also find it absolutely unacceptable that LFS's hire some people who have no idea about the fish that they sell and try to push as many unnecessary products on you as they can. I think it is awesome that you are trying to educate your customers, please dont let the ignorant ones discourage you from doing it.

5. Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

How discouraging this must be for you. I'm so sorry, for you and the fish. It says a lot about your character and personal integrity that you remain caring and take the time to talk to people even when they choose stupidity.

You are the type of salesperson I look for. There are newbies who want to learn and will listen. Thank you for being there for us!

6. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

LOL, Jessica. I get the SAME THING at my work! People are unbelievable aren't they?

The other week there was a lady looking at the hermit crabs. She asked if we paint their shells. I thought she meant "we" as in the employees at the store. I said, "No we don't." Her response, "You mean they're BORN that way?!" She was completely serious. Mind you, these are hermit crabs with things like the American flag and USA written on them.

7. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

this kind of person shouldn't bother getting out of bed in the morning.

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Crazed. It's nice to know that there are some knowledgeable people working in the fish store industry. Although I know working for a chain may bind your hands a good bit when it comes to distributing information as it should be given. I commend you for doing all that you can! :) I know your position cannot be an easy one.
    Ken

9. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Good job, well done crazed. I know it can be tough, I wanted to say something to this couple in my LFS on Fri, but had to restrain myself, they were being served and I was looking for help off the guy when he was done, jumping in to ask how the couple were going to keep their betta may have been frowned upon!
    I love it when people like you serve me, but there was this one woman (it's only a little rant, promise!) who refused to sell me a betta (I got him anyway when I told him I'd put him in another tank...). She said to me that because my tank was only a month and a half old, I couldn't add a betta. Bearing in mind I already had one in there, the tank was divided and cycled anyway. She claimed that I was lucky to have been sold my first betta, that I was lucky if my new betta would survive past a week as they can only live in tanks established for 6 months or more. WELL GUESS WHAT, he's still alive, been moved into another NEW tank since then(for a month in the new tank) and lovin it. Never had any probs with him since I had him. Sorry.
    Keep up the good work crazed, and I love to hear the rants so keep 'em coming if you need to!

10. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

That's why I know I couldn't work at my LFS. I'd end up in jail.

11. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

<hugs>
    You're trying to do your best :) The fishes applaud that :)

12. samantha.h Member Member

I'm glad you know what you're talking about! :;hf

I was at my LPS the other day and this guy was talking to the associate about how he wanted a 10 gallon saltwater tank, and she was trying to talk him out of it. Whether or not she did I have no idea because I left after I was done looking if they had gotten any panda cories yet (which they hadn't...sigh).

13. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

You're doing the best you can. As you noted, some people just don't care. This is the case with every matter of morals. The important thing is that we keep working to make enough people aware of their impact on the animals that we adopt as pets, and on the world around them, that the people who actively don't care are a minority.
    It's been said that large-scale tragedies aren't really caused by a lot of people being actively immoral, but rather by a lot of people being apathetic to a small, vocal group of actively immoral people.

14. outlaw Well Known Member Member

At least you care enough to try.

I think most people don't view fish the same way they would a cat or dog. At least that is how one of my coworkers was when i told him i was researching led lighting for aquariums and showed him a picture of my current setup. he was like I would never do that and admitted killing several fish in the past.

I told him they would be just like keeping a cat or dog as a pet. his response: "i suppose".

15. enthusiast Member Member

my lfs will seemingly stir up a conversation with people coming in to buy fish, it usually starts with "so what size of tank do you have?", and they follow up "oh thats neat, how long have u had it?", showing what appears to be interest but they're really quizzin you. If you dont answer correctly, you lose.

they wont sell fish to anyone if they know the fish will be crammed in a tank too small, or the tank isn't cycled, or if it will be eaten by another fish. i like that they dont. though, my girlfriends sister went in there for plants for her newly set-up tank once, and while the girl working there was "quizzing" her (insincerely showing interest to learn about her tank), she DENIED my girlfriends sister of buying PLANTS- claiming her WATER WASNT CYCLED FOR PLANTS!?!?! I was like- 'is this girl stupid?' a plant will HELP with the cycling process!!

i purchased the plants, and handed them to her outside the dooor. Their intentions are good, but they need to be more knowledgeable than that if they're gonna deny sales!! I'd kill a plant over a fish anyday (ofcourse not on purpose, just if i had a preference as the person with the power to deny such a sale)

16. crazedACD Member Member

Thanks guys! I'm trying hard to improve my tanks. I'm the sole caretaker of the fish section, although the other pet department employees cover when I'm not there. It is an odd store...not a chain, it's kind of like a walmart/tractor supply/lowes/petsmart mixed together :). The pet section makes the most profit usually.

I try to only keep fish that are "ethically" OK-I talk to enough of my customers that I usually let people know I can special order anything they are looking for. I've only been there a few months so I'm still trying to clean up what the other girl left behind. I don't keep anything that gets obnoxiously large (like arowanas, iridescent sharks, the large catfish, etc). I try not to keep anything tattooed or dyed (I do have blood parrots, trying to decide if I want to keep them or not). It's an interesting business. I definitely always talk to people and find out what size tanks they are keeping, tankmates, etc (no one seems to know usually though..lol..), but I don't have the luxury of being able to deny anyone fish.

I know very little compared to some, and will probably never be an expert, and even though I work there if I don't know the answer to a question I usually respond with "Well, I would rather give you no advice than bad advice." I have similar rants to all of you and complaints about LFS employees, some just give me a headache. When I was "training" I overheard the previous fish lady advising someone to definitely NOT use marine salt for making a tank brackish, you MUST use freshwater aquarium salt :;fru. She had been there for two years!

Winner for today, we have a 5-6" or so green bird wrasse that is usually the main attraction (he's been there a long time). Some guy came in and was asking about tank mates and etc...(this fish will eat about anything, needs to be with sizeable tank mates). Come to find out, he wants it for his son, who has a 55g that he wants to convert to SW (wrasse needs 100g minimum). After all this discussion on care, tank size, etc he asks if he can pay for it now and pick it up Christmas eve as a Christmas present..doh. The SW tank isn't even set up now! Luckily we don't hold fish or animals!

17. lorabell Well Known Member Member

I just want to say THANK-YOU!!!!!!