Only One Serpae Tetra Left. Now what?

chefgrace

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SO... I've been lurking on this and other fish hobbyist forums for more than 5 years. I decided to join this one, finally, because I felt there were more people here who support one another,(rather than judge), than some of the other forums I read. Yay, fishlore.com!

I am here because the dudes at PetSmart and Petco don't have a CLUE. I live in a large city and am frustrated by the lack of resources here. I generally have questions which can be answered by a Google search, but as my tanks progress, I find myself with some unique questions.

I recently moved my 29 gallon tank to the west wall of my house, which means I will no longer have direct sunlight on the tank. I do have a few live plants in the tank, mostly moss, so I think the plants will be okay, (suggestions for some other low-light plants I can actually find would be all kinds of great!)

Here comess my question, (finally!) In this particular tank, I had 6 serpae tetras, which eventually succumbed to old age, one by one, until only one is left. I would like to re-stock the tank, but am ready to try something different, so I don't want to purchase any more serpaes, but what should I do about the one who is left? Do I wait for him to follow his schoolmates before re-stocking, or do I just let him work it out, himself? The tank also includes a 10-inch pleco, a 2-inch cory, and a tiny CAE. I would like to re-stock the tank with some schooling fish and perhaps a pair of gourami. I really like the red eye tetras, and I would also be down for 2nd school of tiny fish, instead of the gourami.

I welcome your input!

SwissCheeseHead

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
a 10 inch pleco for a 29 gallon tank is too large for the tank. You'll need to rehome that fish and keep it happy.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would just let the tetra live out his life there. he is used to you and his tank. I would think the red eyed tetras would be okay. You might want to conside taking back the CAE and getting instead a Siamese Algea Eater. The CAE's get aggressive as the mature and will suck the slime coat off fishes like gouramis or angels. Low light plants that are easy to find are annubias of various types or java ferns or crypts. They should be available in most pet stores. Glad you finally decided to join us. Alison

el337

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd also get some more friends for your cory cat - at least 5 more. What kind do you have?

After re-homing the CAE and pleco, that would open up your stocking options.

As for low-light plants, I personally love crypts, bacopa and corkscrew vals.

chefgrace

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
SwissCheeseHead said:
a 10 inch pleco for a 29 gallon tank is too large for the tank. You'll need to rehome that fish and keep it happy.
Ugh! I love that guy. I've had him for 5 years, and got him when he was a little guy. What is your advice for finding a new home?

aliray said:
I would just let the tetra live out his life there. he is used to you and his tank. I would think the red eyed tetras would be okay. You might want to conside taking back the CAE and getting instead a Siamese Algea Eater. The CAE's get aggressive as the mature and will suck the slime coat off fishes like gouramis or angels. Low light plants that are easy to find are annubias of various types or java ferns or crypts. They should be available in most pet stores. Glad you finally decided to join us. Alison
I did look for a SAE at the local stores, but none were to be found. Is there an online purveyor you would recommend?

el337 said:
I'd also get some more friends for your cory cat - at least 5 more. What kind do you have?
I wasn't aware corys should be grouped! I have so much to learn! I think he's a bronze.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Both my local pet supermarket and my local petco will special order fish for you if they are ones they don't normally carry but that their suppliers stock .there is no additional charge or shipping charge to do so, and you get to look at him before you buy him and bring them home. Talk to the manager of the store or the manager of the fish dept. Alison

SwissCheeseHead

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
For rehoming the pleco, you could either upgrade to a larger tank (55 gal would be a minimum for keeping a fish that size, as they can get up to 18 inches) or bringing it to a LFS and getting some credit for it. There are other (IMHO) much more awesome plecos to be had, that don't get nearly as big. If you're interested look at planetcatfish.com and browse their pleco section. There's a whole world of them outside the common pleco.

chefgrace

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Great advice, everyone! Thank you!

Anyone volunteer to come scoop out my pleco? I'm not sure I have a large enough net!

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is not a good idea to net a pleco use a large container and gently urge him in to it then pick up the container with him in it and put him in a bag or bucket. They can get their little side fin stickers near their head stuck in the net and it is hard to get them out without hurting them. Alison

chefgrace

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, I wasn't serious about the net. I have a small pitcher I use to move the big guys. He's hard to catch!

jreinhart

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
chefgrace said:
Ugh! I love that guy. I've had him for 5 years, and got him when he was a little guy. What is your advice for finding a new home?

I did look for a SAE at the local stores, but none were to be found. Is there an online purveyor you would recommend?

I wasn't aware corys should be grouped! I have so much to learn! I think he's a bronze.
Cories are a blast. Instead of a SAE or CAE have you considered Otocinclus? They do best in shoals of 3+ but they're simply adorable. They enjoy driftwood and they will eat algae from your glass. They also enjoy the fresh veggie from time to time. Some people drop in zucchini slices or cucumber slices (no seeds) for them. If you blanch the fresh veggies they won't float.

Hang on to that Serpae but don't put any slow moving fish in with him nor any fish with long fins. Sepae can be fin nippers. Red eye tetras are pretty. Have you considered Cardinal Tetras? I have some in my 25 gallon (mistakenly labeled as a 29 gallon at the store) and they're simply gorgeous in a school. Not too big and they get along with everyone. Plus they're dither fish so fish that are more shy will see the Cardinals swimming and then they'll come out too.

nick22

Valued Member
Reaction score
chefgrace said:
SO... I've been lurking on this and other fish hobbyist forums for more than 5 years. I decided to join this one, finally, because I felt there were more people here who support one another,(rather than judge), than some of the other forums I read. Yay, fishlore.com!

I am here because the dudes at PetSmart and Petco don't have a CLUE. I live in a large city and am frustrated by the lack of resources here. I generally have questions which can be answered by a Google search, but as my tanks progress, I find myself with some unique questions.

I recently moved my 29 gallon tank to the west wall of my house, which means I will no longer have direct sunlight on the tank. I do have a few live plants in the tank, mostly moss, so I think the plants will be okay, (suggestions for some other low-light plants I can actually find would be all kinds of great!)

Here comess my question, (finally!) In this particular tank, I had 6 serpae tetras, which eventually succumbed to old age, one by one, until only one is left. I would like to re-stock the tank, but am ready to try something different, so I don't want to purchase any more serpaes, but what should I do about the one who is left? Do I wait for him to follow his schoolmates before re-stocking, or do I just let him work it out, himself? The tank also includes a 10-inch pleco, a 2-inch cory, and a tiny CAE. I would like to re-stock the tank with some schooling fish and perhaps a pair of gourami. I really like the red eye tetras, and I would also be down for 2nd school of tiny fish, instead of the gourami.

I welcome your input!
Get German blue ram cichlif , very cool fish

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom