Only One Platy Is Pregnant Out Of 3 :/

TropicalFishieFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 10 fish in my 23 gallon tank (3 female platies, 1 male platy and 2 male guppies & 4 female guppies). I had just got my 3rd female platy recently and after 2 days I saw her and the male platy matingompous:. The next day she develops a bump and for about a week it's gotten biggerlayful:. I have a look at the other original platies and they haven't been pregnant or won't be pregnant since I had them:banghead:. One is just round with no gravid spot and has been like this for a while (longer than a gestation period):arghh: The other one looks like a little tiny brick is hanging down but not so much that she's pregnant, and she's had this for a while as well (longer than a gestation period)!:arghh: How do I get them pregnant? What do I do? I really would like to breed them! P.S The male platy is a salt and pepper, the pregnant female is a yellow tuxedo platy, the round one is a sunset blue-ish wagtail and the little brick one is just orangey-red.

105 Litre tank

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm (Constantly this as plants suck the nitrate)

Heavily planted tank
all female guppies are pregnant
Very little aggression and only in between guppies

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can't force the male to mate with the others. Sometimes fish pair off with who they like, it's nature to do that.

I love my wife, we are a pair, we have kids. I don't think it's in my best interest to go out and get another girl pregnant...why? Cause I'm 100% sure my wife would kill me.

I'm sure that's what's the male is thinking.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are with males they are pregnant, males may pick a favored females to harass, however livebearers do not "pair off", if the male is showing favoritism to one female she can become stressed for the attention and possibly abort the fry she is growing inside her.
Males will show more interest in a female that is closer to giving birth because she is giving off hormones that attract them by signaling she is getting ready to be receptive to their sperm (if not their attention).

If you aren't extremely heavily planted (like a mass of moss on a corner kinda thing) all fish will attempt to eat the fry as they come out, and will even chase the female giving birth around the tank if she isn't able to hide from them eating them as she gives birth to them. I have a mass of plants in one of my tanks and still all the swordtail fry were eaten because it wasn't thick enough to prevent the parents from catching them.

Males prefer duller, larger females because they are more likely to carry more fry and show his genetics better in the fry.

TropicalFishieFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
W
Fashooga said:
You can't force the male to mate with the others. Sometimes fish pair off with who they like, it's nature to do that.

I love my wife, we are a pair, we have kids. I don't think it's in my best interest to go out and get another girl pregnant...why? Cause I'm 100% sure my wife would kill me.

I'm sure that's what's the male is thinking.
q
Wow you really need to do your research mate, Males do not pair off with females they're not human k. 2. This female was added later after the other 2 were added like a month later and they still weren't pregnant.

Mcasella said:
They are with males they are pregnant, males may pick a favored females to harass, however livebearers do not "pair off", if the male is showing favoritism to one female she can become stressed for the attention and possibly abort the fry she is growing inside her.
Males will show more interest in a female that is closer to giving birth because she is giving off hormones that attract them by signaling she is getting ready to be receptive to their sperm (if not their attention).

If you aren't extremely heavily planted (like a mass of moss on a corner kinda thing) all fish will attempt to eat the fry as they come out, and will even chase the female giving birth around the tank if she isn't able to hide from them eating them as she gives birth to them. I have a mass of plants in one of my tanks and still all the swordtail fry were eaten because it wasn't thick enough to prevent the parents from catching them.

Males prefer duller, larger females because they are more likely to carry more fry and show his genetics better in the fry.
That's still weird though because the colours are really bland and dull such as just red and light blue and the one he's mated with is the most colourful (yellow and black)

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Basic basic question- are you 110% sure about the sex of your fish? Maybe the ones you believe are female are actually male? Just saying- as someone who doesn’t have much experience sexing fish.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mom2some said:
Basic basic question- are you 110% sure about the sex of your fish? Maybe the ones you believe are female are actually male? Just saying- as someone who doesn’t have much experience sexing fish.
Didn't think about that, they may be late blooming males.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have never seen fry although my Platy female has been pregnant. They all get eaten. I prefer it that way.

TropicalFishieFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Guys I have just figured it out thanks to my LFS. Due to my water supply and the area i live in my aquarium tank quality is too soft I mean the water that comes out of my tap is a whopping 2.16 DGH when i know platies and guppies like it sooo much higher than that. Anyone got any tips for how to improve quality?

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Have you bought a gH kH test kit? I use one. It depends how much you need to raise your parameters. My water is in the low end of normal, but was too unstable & I ended up with a pH crash - so since then I provide basic supplementation. I add cuttlefish bones (bought on bird supply section, don’t get flavored or colored) to my tank & hide it in a log. I also add crushed shells (sold as a betta substrate) to crevices in my canister filter. Some people add crushed coral to their filter or as substrate or as decor.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom