Only half of bamboo shrimp molted, will she die?

LongScrewdriver

I saw a bamboo molting in the open and got a video of it, but as it flicked out of the molt only the top half came off, now its the next day and the bottom half of the molt is still there, you can clearly see two layers of skin with the molf breaking right behind her head. Is she gonna die from this or will she eventually get it off somehow?
She's been sitting on a branch in the middle of the tank wide open which is odd and isn't running from anything. Should I catch her and remove the molt myself?
image0.jpg

inari

IF my memory serves me correctly, you don't want to remove the exoskeleton during a molt. You could try to move her to a q-tank and keep it dim/dark that may help her molt in more comfort/safety. I used to have to this with land hermit crabs (they require darkness to molt.) shrimps usually are pretty good about molts imo.

Upvote 0

richiep

When you say top and bottom half how are you referring ,is the top half the head and bottom the tail,

Upvote 0

LongScrewdriver

When you say top and bottom half how are you referring ,is the top half the head and bottom the tail,
yes bottom half, meaning her tail still has the old molt on her.

Upvote 0

richiep

OK the tail is not so bad if it was the head it would kill her, how's she doing at the moment is she trying to take it off or is she struggling and stressed

Upvote 0

LongScrewdriver

OK the tail is not so bad if it was the head it would kill her, how's she doing at the moment is she trying to take it off or is she struggling and stressed
she is sitting in the same branch, she is staying in the open under the light which is very unusual for my bamboo's, but shes not running around.

Upvote 0

LongScrewdriver

not really, shes poached on a tree with her arms tucked in, the shrimp sitting next to her is filter feeding

Upvote 0

richiep

It's going to be down to you as to how long you leave her before you intervene, she dosnt have claws as such to pick at it and it's wether she can get her legs onto the shell to move it.
When she's rested she may start to try, if she falls to the ground and lies on her side you will have to help, they normally rest for 24ish hrs before they start to move, just keep a very close eye on her for now.
That seem to be her feeding spot at least she will get food once she recovers

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Finlee
  • Question
Replies
Views
blossawm
  • Question
Replies