Online Tutoring?

What do you think about online tutoring on Fishlore?

• that would be helpful

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • good idea!

• um... sure?

• what for!!??

• no

• ya

• Total voters

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known
Reaction score
I've been getting bad grades in social studies since the biginning of the year and I thought that maybe people willing to help the teens on this site that are having trouble with grades!1 what do you all think? cause then like the kids could ask the tutors a question and they could help them. NO DOING HOMEWORKS FOR THEM THOUGH!!!!!!!!!! let me know what you think!! Miley

Gwenz

Well Known
Reaction score
I think it would be helpfull, but does it really belong on a fish forum? :-\ ???

Good idea though!! I'd love help with school work, except I live in wales and go to a welsh school and don't think anyone else here can speak welsh, so wouldn't be too good for me.

Gwenz

OP
BettaBuddy ~ Miley

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known
Reaction score
I geuss it doesn't really belong on a fishforume but it is an awesome idea. WOW! u live in wales!! wow. I have bad social studies grades by bad I mean like 70% average! ouch huh? Miley

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
BettaBuddy said:
... I have bad social studies grades by bad I mean like 70% average!  ouch huh?
Miley, what grade are you in? I am guessing high school? Or still junior high? I know that every high school / junior high has (or should have) tutoring in various subjects. Have you asked in your school whether they have tutoring in the areas in which you're weak? Tutoring should help you. And while your idea isn't bad (I like it), I think tutoring is much better when you're actually interacting with your tutor in real life. On a forum, it takes a while to get a response, and that is not exactly a good way to learn. But when you're one on one with your tutor, he/she is there to answer any of your questions immediately. Also, it is easier to teach in real life than online.

Just my "2 cents"

OP
BettaBuddy ~ Miley

BettaBuddy ~ Miley

Well Known
Reaction score
8th grade. and ya I agree and I haven't asked my school because they don't offer tutoring like that - they offer TAKS help ( TAKS is a test that if you fail you don't go to the next grade and you can only miss very few questions!!) so I am not sure yet. Miley

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Does your school have a resource room that you can go to for help? It's usually for students that have intermittant needs, but I know regular students can go in too. I only know because I was in resource when I was in high school and junior high. I passed with flying colors when I got the extra help I needed. Natalie

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
From the perspective of a mother of 3, I have always encouraged them in school to tackle the toughest thing first. :'( Tutoring IS sometimes needed, but often when something is hard, we put it off. The BEST answer for any school problem is more time spent working on it. I know often we have to just juggle doing what is "due" the next day, but if we do that and don't allow enough study time for that hard subject, then it creeps up, and with something where reading is involved, it takes more than one quick read-through.

So start early, do that 'hard thing' first, then do the assignment that is due tomorrow.

Lastly get LOTS of sleep! We always had a 9pm bedtime. Now I know that sounds like a real drag to lots of young people, but both of my daughters ended up Valedictorian of their classes in high school. They were NOT brains, just applied what I suggest to you! Hang in there!

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well here's what I suggest, study more and get off the fish forum and whatever else you do in your free time. Second semester got harder for me and I'v had to get off here and study more. A lot of times it seems that kids don't work enough at home and study.

I also second sustina flowers advice. You do better with more sleep, I go to bed early during the week usualy at 9.30 and helps me do better. I also agree with doing the hard thing first, you'l get it done when your the most awake too.

I don't know how your school was but in middle school for me it was more just busy work than really studying per say so make sure you work hard on your homework.

With tutors, try studying more and if you need help that bad you can ask your parents to get you a tutor or ask a older kid to tutor you, but usually you just need to fix your study habits.

Peter243243

Reaction score
It's best to get help in person, ask a good friend who does well in social studies.

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
yeah I agree with all that. time management is often the key to doing well! (that's for school, unI and work). at school I tended to rush things. at unI I started planning more and doing research EARLY! not at the last minute when all the good library books have gone and the internet's gone down!! and definitely sleep!! in sixth form I went out clubbing and getting in late, on top of that I did too many assignments at 3am, on the bus and in the lesson before it had to be handed in. lack of slep and appalling time management!!! I didnt do too well and think that was the wake up call I needed to get my act together!! at unI I got them done a week before, passed to teacher to have a read through and give any pointers and to friends to have a read, then spent a week improving and editing it!!! needless to say I did much better at unI than sixth form!! for exams, ask the teacher for past papers and marking sheets. they give you practice on what questions to expect and how they will be phrased and what they expect. reading the marking sheet will show you what you do and don't get marks for to help you focus on spending your exam time in doing what really matters. also if you're struggling...ask!! I was afraid to ask in sixth form for fear of them thinking I was stupid. what was stupid was me scraping through exams because I didnt ask!! in unI I did ask if I didnt understand something. more than once for the same topic if necessary.

anyway, motherly ramble over

good luck

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Miley,
I'd agree that tutoring in person is best, it's just easier that way cause you can be looking at the book together and all. If your school doesn't offer any help getting a tutor there, maybe you can find another student (especially a friend like peter suggested) who wants to get into tutoring. a lot of times, a little bit of help is enough to get you going on your own in a subject.

Online, tutoring would be easier maybe over one of the IM programs since it's more like talking and googling stuff could help out too with things like social studies. How are you doing now in social studies? did you find some help in it the past couple months?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
In my parents house. Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry for the late reply, but I would be happy to tutor anyone that is below the 11th grade since I just got a diploma for tutoring at my school. At my school they just restarted the tutoring thing again since they hadn't done it for about 20-30 years. If you want my help either PM me or email me with the subject and the question and I will let you know if I am able to help or not. I will try my best to help you even if that means asking some of my friends the same question and getting back to you a little later than planned.
Tom

New Threads