Online fish buying

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can get live fish from a lot of places
LiveAquaria
Aquabid has some of the most amazing fish I have ever seen. But I dont think the cost of shipping is worth it unless there is somthing exotic are fantastic. Or if you can make a large order and maybe split it with a friend. And unfortunatly most of the time you can not add that many fish to your tank at the same time safely.

Lindsay83

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The other problem with online ordering of fish, is that you don't get to see their environment - you've no idea whether or not there are sick, dying, or dead fish in the same tank as the ones your fish come from. You've no idea whether the tanks are on a linked filtration system, or have individual filters. You can't study the behaviours of the fish you intend to purchase. You have to take all of that on trust.

I've purchased fish online before, but I wouldn't do it for fish that I could just as easily buy from the LFS down the road.

I understand why you might be thinking of buying fish online, especially ones such as the ones you're thinking of - the virus, and the fact that not all LFS are open, right? You're not the first, and you probably won't be the last, but this pandemic won't last forever.

In terms of places we can recommend, that would depend on where you are. And if you are prepared to pay over the odds for fish that you'll be able to get a heck of a lot cheaper in a few weeks.

Just my humble opinion.

OP
J

Jackkelly

Reaction score
the main fish im looking for is the peacock gudgeon and i haven't seen one at my LFS

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Wet Spot and Imperial Tropicals are highly regarded. Aquabid is generally a great site as well, but it has to be noted that it's basically the fish version of eBay and thus your experience will vary depending on the seller. The important thing is to check the seller's reviews. If they have a large amount of positive reviews from different users over a long span of time, you should be good.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jackkelly said:
I am looking to stock a fish tank with a peacock goby, neon tetra, ember tetra, and ghost shrimp. Any recommendations on what website to buy from?
Focusing on good quality fish as well as cost-effective.
I thought about ordering some more a.d.f online....just couldnt do that to the frogs and wasnt sure on how they were taken care of.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I should have mentioned, Be absolutely sure that the seller offers live delivery guarantee, and check feedback and reviews.
Also, did you ask the store if they can order the specific fish for you?

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your local pet shop doesnt have the fish you want, ask someone, they might be able to get them or they might be illegal. My local Petco doesnt carry a lot of fish, but they CAN and WILL get them if I want them. Its good to check the legalities as we had a local restaurant get raided by IF&W over the koi in their lobby fish tank. They were confiscated, destroyed and the owner was summonsed to court and ordered to pay fines over $10K. Another restaurant owner had his koi confiscated and spent over $20K fighting the state. Here in Maine we have a LONG list of illegal animals. For example, all freshwater shrimp and snails are illegal here.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yup. Its the owners responsibility to know whats legal and what isnt. You cant just drive to NH, buy koi, bring them back and think its okay. Our IF&W also drain ponds to kill off invasive goldfish species. It takes days, TONS of man-hours, etc., to do it. I remember reading about a woman from Mass who brought some kind of goldfish here, had a private pond built to the tune of $45K and IF&W was tipped off about it. IF&W conducted an extensive investigation and showed up to destroy the fish and fine the woman (fines would have been in the tens of thousands) but since she cooperated and genuinely didnt understand, they didnt prosecute her, which I wasn't happy about). The fish were all destroyed and she wasnt in any further trouble, but how much money did that cost taxpayers?

clark12

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I ordered cardinal tetras, german blue rams, harliquin rasboras and angels from Imperial Tropicals. Ya you pay shipping but when you get good reviews from people and you get the fish you want, i think its worth it. All fish were in beautiful shape and no DOA's. I actually had a pair of rams form from the 3 i bought. They had eggs quite a few times and once even had some fry but the cardinals were on the hunt.

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just placed an order from Imperial Tropicals. First one. I am optimistic. I had a very helpful email exchange with them.

ImpairedFish

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sorg67 said:
I just placed an order from Imperial Tropicals. First one. I am optimistic. I had a very helpful email exchange with them.
Let me know how that goes, they're the closest one to me with a good selection

QCAquaholic

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just bought a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides orange flash from petzonesd.com, and next day shipping is $30. The pair was a little over $25, which is about the same price the LFSs have them for...if/when they have them. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

EDIT: I was thinking I'd be getting them tomorrow, but they only ship on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Sorg67

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I placed my order with Imperial on Thursday. I am guessing they will ship on Monday or Tuesday and I will receive them on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorg67 , my friend and I have ordered from Imperial Tropicals in the past. Fish arrived alive and as advertised. They have an online presence, lot of videos in YouTube. You should receive some good quality fish.

Jackkelly , take a look at the Imperial Tropicals and the Aqua Huna websites for online fish orders.

Aqua Huna had a video tour posted by Cory at Aquarium Co-Op. They are a large wholesale on Northwest coast and also sell to public online. They have s&h for around $12 and have a very good fish guarantee.

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Funny, I keep getting notifications to this thread so I finally broke down and bought from Imperial Tropics too. 10 fish and 8 or 10 plants. First online fish purchase ever. Hoping they ship this week but we shall see, they are running behind their site says.

New Threads