Online Breeders

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by ebbandflow, Apr 4, 2006.

1. ebbandflowValued MemberMember

What is everyone's thoughts on getting fish from breeders online (and getting fish sent to you)? These sites were recommended by someone: LiveAquaria.com

Tanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2012
  2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

A lot of folks get their fish online and sent in the mail. I done it 3 times. As long as you are aware of the risks involved, and the terms of the deal in case your fish arrive DOA, there's nothing wrong with this. I have heard good and bad things about  , and know nothing about the other site. Personally, I would try and find a local breeder where shipping was necessary, or get my fish from another local hobbyist if possible. When that's not possible, then go with a site you can trust by looking at what folks are saying about the that particular breeder on the boards. ;)

3. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

There used to be some good breeders who dealt off of eBay, but for some reason the last time I bought (Misty) I was told that they had been informed that they couldn't sell bettas on eBay anymore and were moving to Aquabid.  One problem I noticed was that the dealers on eBay were now beginning to do away with the guarantee of live delivery or only allowing 3 hours after actually receiving the fish to collect the money you paid for the fish.  (the bag must remain unopened and a digital photo must be sent to the dealer within 3 hours of registered arrival)
    That is a hard guarantee to meet if the weather has been bad or the package is not wrapped properly.

Also when dealing with   they are associated with but not the same as   and if you order supplies and live fish the cost of shipping is astronomical.  The costs from most breeders are much more reasonable.  I have not ordered from  , but since most of my favorite breeders are moving there, I would bet I do in the future.

Rose
    :)

4. vinWell Known MemberMember

Liveaquaria's shipping is astronomical....$29.00 minimum shipping charge to go along with the $29.00 minimum order for fish, coral and invertabrates......

5. MikeFishloreAdmin Moderator Member

I've purchased live fish and invertebrates online once before. The invertebrates arrived alive, but the fish did not. It was overnight delivery for both.

It does stink to have to pay so much for shipping. I've checked a lot of online fish stores and they all seem to be fairly high with the shipping charges.

I've used liveaquaria.com and marinedepot.com for supplies and have had good experiences with both places.

I've never used aquabid or ebay - maybe I'll use them next time...

6. ebbandflowValued MemberMember

Yeah... how do I find a local breeder? Is there a site that I could look up? Or anyone know any around here? I live in westchester county, New York. And I have a question for you Chickadee. What are the good breeders that you know of on aquabid. Tanks.

7. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

DOH!    How could I forget the link to Aquabid?  Thanks for the save Rose! 

What I have done to find local breeders is to look around on Aquabid for the species of fish I want, and then check the ads for location.  You can also find species specific forums similar to FishLore, and there should be many breeders of that species advertising fish for sale.    is an example of a great site to learn about discus and to find some good breeders.  A lot of folks also give feedback on that site about different breeders.   

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice