Online Breeder Opinion

1. geraldatwork Initiate Member

I recently made a purchase of 5 Cherry Red Shrimp from "Alpha Pro Breeders". I went to their site and saw many positive reviews from their customers. I used USPS Priority as my shipping option. The shrimp arrived in 2-3 days (not sure exactly when they shipped as I asked for a tracking # and never received it. ) When I opened the package according to their instructions, I quickly saw that 3 were dead and 2 were healthy. There appeared to be no extra shrimp. The dead shrimp appeared that that they were torn apart. The problem may have been the green plastic mesh they included instead of a small piece of a live plant for the shrimp to cling to. The mesh was a bit on the stiff side with sharp edges. My guess is that during the jostling around on the trucks the 3 dead shrimp got cut up.

When I notified Alpha Pro Breeders to get a replacement they replied, I didn't read the fine print and they can't replace the dead shrimp because it was clearly stated that they only stand behind their shrimp if I chose to pay for and use one of their FedEx options. So technically they were correct. Being a reasonable person I offered to pay for shipping if they replaced the 3 shrimp. Their response was if I ordered a new batch of 5 and I used FedEx they would "throw in a couple of extra shrimp" I'm not going to get crazy but thought this isn't the way to treat a new customer.

I am curious of what everyone thinks about their business practices?

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds pretty bad but not unheard of in this industry. However, most companies will refund you the money for those 3 shrimp or replace them for free IF you pay for shipping.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

A lot of online stores have no guarantee if you choose priority shipping, and are under no obligation to refund you or provide replacements.

4. geraldatwork Initiate Member

You are correct. However anyone of us who have had Cherry Shrimp breed in the tank know how easily this happens and at some point the problem is how to get rid of them. I thought my offer to pay for all shipping costs if they replaced the 3 shrimp was generous on my part and a fair way to resolve the issue.

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Not really generous because you're still asking them to give you free shrimp. It's their policy not to guarantee live arrivals with that shipping option. I don't think the store is doing anything wrong, that's all.

I'm sorry they were DOA though.

6. geraldatwork Initiate Member

Doing something wrong? Technically you are correct. But to any of us that has dozens of baby shrimp roaming around our tanks we can easily see that to "give" 3 of them away it wouldn't be a financial hardship.. Yes in order to make a profit they have to get their $3-5.00 per shrimp. I understand that. But to make things right if I am willing to pay for their shipping costs, I just think it is bad business not to compromise and make a customer happy.

My biggest gripe, which is after the fact is they misrepresent their their favorable customer experiences by not putting up any that are negative in any way.. To me that is dishonorable and is probably a reflection I am not the only person something like this has happened to, and their unwillingness to come to a reasonable compromise which would seem fair to both parties You agree?

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but they don't need to make things right. You paid for priority shipping with no live arrival guaranteed. Shrimp died during shipping, unfortunately, but they don't need to "make things right," nor do they owe you anything.

I agree that not putting up all reviews is suspicious and not a good practice.

8. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

9. geraldatwork Initiate Member

Agree, I'll leave a review on "Alpha Pro Breeders" when I get a chance. Their positive (phony) reviews was what led me to buy from their company

10. geraldatwork Initiate Member

I just want to say they just added my review to the Cherry Shrimp Page. So I edited out the part about picking choosing reviews which is only fair.
    I still stand behind my opinion that they could have treated a new customer better especially after I thought was a fair offer on my part to pay for shipping. Afterall I believe the sharp edges to the plastic mesh cut up the smaller shrimp and they clearly stated on their website that all orders would have a small piece of a live plant in the package for the shrimp to cling to.

11. Kwig Well Known Member Member

All shrimp I order commercially are sent with the green mesh and it's never caused any issue. I order minimum 96 shrimp per week, and that's only if I order ghost shrimp.
    They don't have a guarantee for live arrival for that shipping option because they don't believe it's fast enough and much more risky for the shrimp. (Or they have worked out some sort of deal with FedEx, either way though.)
    Personally, I believe companies have a policy and consumers should not expect the company to bend that policy in the name of customer service. I see it literally daily and it can be incredibly frustrating for your employer to lay down the rules and then have someone be angry with you for merely following them.
    I think they did right by offering free shrimp (which they don't owe you, at a loss to themselves) on a new order. You paying for shipping has nothing to do with their profit margin. Most online shops with a live guarantee are going to charge you shipping even on the replacement if you qualify.

But, yes, they shouldn't only have positive reviews. That's bad business practices.

12. Mango Initiate Member

Healthy shrimp should be able to survive in transit for 1-2 weeks if temperatures are good.

In a way, guaranteeing DOA only when you select a one day shipping service tells people your shrimp are weak and require the fastest shipping method.

You can sign up for My USPS which can automatically email/text you updates of packages coming to you.

13. geraldatwork Initiate Member

It wasn't that hot and the mail box was in the shade. The seller blamed it on me because the shrimp were in the hot sun for 7 hours which is not true. When I asked him what would the difference be if I used FedEx and had the same 2 day delivery and the shrimp were in the hot sun for 7 hours (which they weren't). I didn't get an answer. I realize it is a small business and technically they didn't have to resend the 3 dead shrimp even if I paid for all shipping costs. But for anyone of us who have baby shrimplets we know they reproduce like fleas. So to make a customer happy how much would it have cost to put 3 shrimp in a bag when I was paying for shipping? Instead he gets this thread here and a negative feedback on his site.

14. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

I ordered from aquatic arts. They have great customer service and have a 100% alive on arrival guarantee. They refunded me for my 1 DOA and have been helpful ever since.

They include a polyfiber-like ball (has similar features to java fern texture) and ammonia absorbing balls (forgot what they're called).

Some of their shrimp are bred through them and some are from a supplier since they have such high demand for some of the shrimp.

15. geraldatwork Initiate Member

I'll keep "Aquatic Arts" in mind if I decide to order shrimp online.

16. tokiodreamy Well Known Member Member

They also have a vast amount of snails, plants, and fish!

Edit: also, if you live near the post office you can ask them to hold your mail for free. That way the fish are in an air conditioned place :)