Onion Plant?

Aquashrimp42

Active Member
Member
Messages
81
Reaction score
51
Location
Moscow, Idaho
Experience
4 years
I am trying to figure out if I can plant an onion from the store in my tank. Green onions maybe? Is crinum or water onion a special type of onion that grows in the water? I look forward to your feedback. Thanks.
 

Mongo75

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,324
Reaction score
1,438
Location
Lancaster, CA
From what I've read, the Water Onion (CRINUM THAIANUM) can be fully submerged, but the "produce" onions need to only have the bulbs immersed in the water, like FinalFins said.

I've never tried onions, but I have used sweet potatoes. I just started two new ones almost a week ago. you could "plant" the onions similar to how I "plant" my potatoes...

20200604_102714.jpg20200604_102736.jpg20200604_102720.jpg20200604_102742.jpg



In 4 to 6 weeks, my potatoes look like this...

20191016_121254.jpg20200401_124112.jpg20200411_090604.jpg20200418_061908.jpg
 

SnookusFish

Well Known
Member
Messages
916
Reaction score
881
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mongo75 said:
From what I've read, the Water Onion (CRINUM THAIANUM) can be fully submerged, but the "produce" onions need to only have the bulbs immersed in the water, like FinalFins said.

I've never tried onions, but I have used sweet potatoes. I just started two new ones almost a week ago. you could "plant" the onions similar to how I "plant" my potatoes...

20200604_102714.jpg20200604_102736.jpg20200604_102720.jpg20200604_102742.jpg



In 4 to 6 weeks, my potatoes look like this...

20191016_121254.jpg20200401_124112.jpg20200411_090604.jpg20200418_061908.jpg
Niiiccee. Do theysuck up all the ammoni/nitrites/nitrates really well? Might put them in my jararium
 

Mongo75

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,324
Reaction score
1,438
Location
Lancaster, CA
SnookusFish said:
Niiiccee. Do theysuck up all the ammoni/nitrites/nitrates really well? Might put them in my jararium
Once they get a good set of roots and leaves going, YES! My nitrates are zero starting about a month after adding them. during that month, I see my nitrates going from about 30 ppm down to the point where they're zero.

It's also my experience, that potatoes are not "forever" plants. Mine start to either rot, or wither at about 5 month, so I toss them and start over. I would guess the onions would have the same problem. If you want a "forever" plant, try pothos, peace lily, and a plethora of others, too numerous to list :).
 

SnookusFish

Well Known
Member
Messages
916
Reaction score
881
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mongo75 said:
Once they get a good set of roots and leaves going, YES! My nitrates are zero starting about a month after adding them. during that month, I see my nitrates going from about 30 ppm down to the point where they're zero.

It's also my experience, that potatoes are not "forever" plants. Mine start to either rot, or wither at about 5 month, so I toss them and start over. I would guess the onions would have the same problem. If you want a "forever" plant, try pothos, peace lily, and a plethora of others, too numerous to list :).
Thanks, i do have a peace lily going but i don't know, its root system just doesnt seem as dense as sweet potato. Maybe it just needs more time to adapt to water
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
237
Guests online
3,844
Total visitors
4,081

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom