Ongoing Sparkling Gourami spawning aggression/tails shredded

ArtemisFish

Hi there everyone, I currently have 5 Sparkiling Gourami in a planted17 gallon tank with 6 Otos and 10 Ember Tetras. All of the gouramis have ragged fins after just two weeks in the tank. The spawning started happening almost immediately after purchasing the fish. I have already moved one pair that were super aggressive while spawning into a 10 gallon where they are much happier in a planted tank all to themselves (they started spawning again immediately). Now another pair is spawning in the 17 gallon and they are chasing everyone else. needless to say, my darling gouramis have had almost nonstop stress and now their fins are looking ragged. In the 17 gallon tank I have good filtration with a sponge filter plus an Oase100 filtosmart cannister filter. I do weekly water changes of 25%. I am worried that we are starting to have a fin rot problem. I can treat with anti-bacterial medicine right away, but need to solve the cause. The tank parameters are: ammonia = 0, Nitrites = 0, Nitrates = 10ppm, pH = 6.5, temp = 76F. Is there a way to DISCOURAGE spawning? Or do you think the problem is too much flow? What else? I'll attach photo below of the tank.

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, the advice I usually give with Sparklers is to keep them in large groups of 10 plus due to aggressive behaviour. Smaller groups often tear each other apart.

Basil

I’m hoping others with more experience keeping sparklers will chime in but my experience of the past 18 months is not very positive.
I started with 7 in a 10 g. Eventually only had 3 left. So I moved them to my 29 g plant and snail tank and added 6 more.
But as soon as they became mature, they became very territorial.
I eventually ended up with 2 pairs that seemed to have claimed each end of the tank. So I thought great! I added a school of Pygmy rasboras and all was good for a while. But now I’m down to one. :(
I did think about adding more as Josh suggested but decided against it.
I almost feel that the ideal set up would be a heavily planted 40 breeder with about 12 or so of them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ArtemisFish
  • Question
Replies
Views
Tee89
Replies
Views
Bettatakeover
Replies