One year old tank, all algae defeated except one.....

toeknee

Hello all. My 55 gallon heavily planted tank is now a little over a year old. I've managed to defeat all of my algae issues over the year besides one. I am still getting BBA on my foreground plants. S.Repens, Dwarf Sag and Crypt Parva all keep getting BBA. It's only my plants near the substrate that are affected.Water parameters are 0, 0, 20-40ppm usually. For lighting I have a Beamswork FSPEC rated at 44 Par at a 20 inch depth for 6 hours a day. I also have a standard USA Satellite that comes on for 3 hours adding another 10 par at a 20 inch depth. Do I need to cut light down? I was previously using only the Beamswork but wondered if maybe my lower plants weren't getting enough light to grow fast enough to ward of algae so I added the Satellite LED for a boost in light.

I have a sand substrate, NilocG root tabs put in every 2.5 months. I dose NilocG Thrive C twice weekly. Seachem Excel 3 times weekly, and Seachem Iron twice weekly to boost overall coloration in my plants. I'm also very over filtered with two Penn-Plax Cascade 100 Cannister filters at 265 GPH each and an Aquatech 30-60 at 330 GPH.

For the life of me I can't get any of my foreground plants to take off. I've kept both S.Repens and Dwarf Sag in a 20 long with very similar parameters and dosing.... and they were growing out of control. In my 55 however, I can't get them to do squat. I'm assuming is because of the BBA that keeps over taking their leaves. Any suggestions or ideas?

86 ssinit

Bba was a problem for me for years. Things I’ve done to get rid of it are. More water changes, SAE, Doctors 3 in 1 and I would use the excell daily. I use the apI version co2 booster. Sae will eat it. You must get young fish and not feed them for a few days. They will find the bba and eat it all. Then they will keep it away. Excell is an algaecide so used daily it also will keep it away. Not quite sure how the doctors 3 in 1 works. They give no explanation but it has helped. And I have one in all my planted tanks but the shrimp tank. Shrimp eat all algae. Next is your nitrates. I’m not saying there a problem fish wise but I believe bba loves nitrates. How often do you do water changes? Does the bottle of thrive recommend 50% water changes a week? Pics of your tank will help .

toeknee

I'll start by upping Excel to daily dosing to see if that helps out. I just did an excel spot treatment this afternoon and went through and cut out most infected leaves, which I've done before but it still comes back. I do a %50-%60 water change weekly. My Dwarf Sag all have healthy root systems just not sending out runners. Each sag is growing new eaves all the time but the old leaves keep getting overtaken by BBA. I'll check in Dr's 3-1 as well.

86 ssinit

Great looking tank! Great looking ram!!

toeknee

Great looking tank! Great looking ram!!
Thanks! I'll be happy with it once I can get a good carpet going. That's Lester, he's pretty much the boss of the tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • YellowGuppy
  • Algae
Replies
Views
YellowGuppy
Replies
Views
toeknee
  • jpaquatics
  • Algae