One white spot on a platy--not responding to ich treatment?

Poshia11

Hi. I added two new Corydoras and a snail to my existing tank on 9/25 and about a week or so later, I noticed a white spot appear on the fin on of one of my existing platys. (I should have, but did not, quarantine the new fish and snail before adding to my tank). None of my other fish are showing any spots.

It looked like the ich I have had in the tank a couple of other times, so I started ich-x and have been doing that for about two weeks (I also did a temperature raise to 79/80 and have been changing 25% of the water almost daily with the ich-x). But, no other spots have appeared on my platy and the other fish have not shown ich either.

The spot on the platy is the same as it was when it appeared two weeks ago. My water temperature is at 79, so I would have thought the ich would have gone through a life cycle in two weeks. (Other times, more than one ich spot would usually appear and come off the fish after 5-7 days of using the ich-x at that temperature).

I am a newer aquarist and I don't know what else a white fin spot like this could be if not ich--I also don't want to keep dosing my tank with daily ich-x if it could be something else other than ich. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• platy spot.jpg
    platy spot.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 26
  • platy spot 2.jpg
    platy spot 2.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 26

BigManAquatics

This is why most people don't treat for ich over 1 spot. Ich multiplies quite fast generally, either on the fish or amongst the other fish. At least ich-x is generally a bit less harsh than some other ich meds. I would personally stop the dosing. Could be as simple as the fish swam against something and nicked a fin.

Poshia11

Thanks for the feedback! I had lost a couple of my platys to ick about a year ago so I was probably more aggressive than necessary when I saw a spot on a fin. I stopped the ich-x and put my carbon filter back in the tank. The platy's white fin spot is still there and no signs of ich elsewhere in the tank, so I'll keep an eye on my platy and hope for the best...

BigManAquatics

Thanks for the feedback! I had lost a couple of my platys to ick about a year ago so I was probably more aggressive than necessary when I saw a spot on a fin. I stopped the ich-x and put my carbon filter back in the tank. The platy's white fin spot is still there and no signs of ich elsewhere in the tank, so I'll keep an eye on my platy and hope for the best...
Yeah, we had a big ich outbreak amongst our platies a few years ago so we always on the lookout for it and ich-x stays in my cabinet at all times....

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bree78
Replies
Views
Olivia Janae
Replies
Views
CichlidJynx
Replies
Views