One, two or three Pearl Gouramis?

1. Dumulon Initiate Member

I currently have one Pearl Gourami male in my 45 gallon tank. He is a bit aggressive a feeding time: when all surface food is done, he will go and harass the cories on the bottom. (I will get three more peppered cories as soon as my LFS gets some but I don't know when that will be. I am hoping that with a larger school, the pearl will let them be!)

In the meantime, I have been diligently researching the internet for the 'ideal' number of pearl gourami to suppress aggression, but opinions are divided about 50-50: half say keep one pearl, the other half says more (then, some say get 1 male - 2 female ration, other say get a pair).

I really like my male, he has nice colours and is the king of the tank. Can anyone share their experience with one or many pearl gouramis?

Attached Files:

2. bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

im not an expert but i think only one is the best way to go. i had a DG that was chasing my neons. i put him in a gallon tank divider inside the tank for 5 days and when i released him he didnt bother a one! you could try that.

3. Erica0107 Member Member

I would get two girls for your male. My male was a crabby butt that used to bother my cories too. I got a larger school of cories and 2 female pearls, and haven't had any problems with him since.

Pearls are really fun to watch as a group as well. They really seem to enjoy each others company and are almost always together.

4. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

The problem is that a 45 isnt really appropriate for 3 pearls i dont belive. they have the potential for 6" average. Still, something must be done about your crabby male. You could try replacing him with a female if your up for it?

5. Erica0107 Member Member

I have 3 in a 40 breeder and I could be wrong, but i think Jaysee used to keep 3 in a 45. From what I have read, their average size is about 4 inches with a max of 5.

6. Dumulon Initiate Member

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, my LFS will not take returns. And there isn't a single peppered cory to be had in town to augment my school (*sigh*).

Is keeping three in a 45 gallon a concern because of water parameters or because of physical room for them? My water parameters are perfect and I do regular water changes, so that will not be an issue. As for my tank, it is set up with plastic plants (although I plan on getting a few live floating plants for the pearl(s), so there should be lots of hiding place :)

New_tank_hf.jpg

Attached Files:

7. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Their max is well above 5 inches. Of course, lets just not argue. In my opinion its a space issue.

8. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I had two Gourami's a very long time ago and one (blue gourami) killed the other one. It was very aggressive. It probably has to do with the temperment of your individual fish along with space. He may not be too happy about another fish in his "space" if your tank is not that big. 5"to 6" is still a big fish.:;rocker

9. Dumulon Initiate Member

Another option would be to add cories of a different species in order to have a larger school to prevent the pearl from harassing them. Does anyone know if my peppered cories will be happy with, say, a few albino or bronze cories?

10. Dumulon Initiate Member

Thanks to all. I have a friend (with a 120 gallon tank) who is willing to give 'Mr Crabby' a good home!

I think I'll get a female but I need to research a little more -just in case- cause I wouldn't want a 'Mrs Crabby' :)

11. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Well Pearls by average are NOT a agressive species. However if you wish to be careful, thick lip gourami and honeys are very inagressive species.

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I had absolutely no issues with keeping 3 in a 45 and would recommend it. Pearl gouramis are group oriented fish.

13. orbelina Member Member

I recently returned my two remaining pearls to the lfs I got them from...I started with three, but the lfs said they were too young to sex (and I didn't know then how to do it) anyway turns out I had three females, two of them kind of ganged up on the other (larger) one and about a week ago she died (don't know why) ...
    Then suddenly the remaining two became very boisterous.. I won't say aggressive just very boisterous.. and were really starting to bully other tank mates..
    I know they aren't usually aggressive fish but in my case they were proving to be small bullies if nothing else, and I didn't want to risk losing anymore fish so I returned them...:(

14. Dumulon Initiate Member

Someone told me that my 'mister' is a 'missus' ??? He says that the dorsal fin is not' pointed' enough for a male... Now, I'm confused!

From everything I read, only males get the orange/red colouring on the throat AND the belly... Any thoughts? (I did include a couple of pics on my first post when I started the thread)

Thanks in advance.

15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I forgot to mention earlier, that I keep a group of 5 pearls.

Yes, the coloration is of a male. The fins look like there is some degree of rot, so it can be hard to tell by them. It also looks like there is some sort of deformity with the caudal fin.

16. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

It looked like possibly a younger male to me, thus i didnt say anything, jaysee's the expert though.

17. Dumulon Initiate Member

I'm going to have to sleep on this... I really like pearls, they are the reason I got into this hobby! By the end of the year, I plan on getting a much bigger tank then I'd like to see what I can do about breeding them: should be quite the adventure :)

In the meantime, I'll consider getting two females to 'tame' the boss! But I'll discuss with my friend first in order to ascertain that he will take the male and a female if this doesn't work out.

And I need to find out about rot before I bring anything else into the tank.

Thank you all for your time and kind advice.

18. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

My male and his females. Even the large females have silver bellies and smooth anal fins. The fish in question is definitely a male.

pearls 021.JPG pearls 028.JPG

19. cameronpalte Member Member

I recommend increasing your school or corries. I also recommend staying with peppered corries, there is actually a chance they will exclude other types of corries causing that fish stress.

I also recommend adding 2 female pearl gourami's which can actually lessen the amount your male bothers the corries, but that is just a personal opinion.

20. Dumulon Initiate Member

Just a quick note to close this topic...

I ended up replacing him with a female (I just gave him away to my friend). Although she's a bit less spectacular with regards to colouring, she is much more 'relaxed' :)

She is not shy, she swims everywhere in the tank, she comes by the front glass to check out what I'm doing if I approach the aquarium and, most important, she leaves the remaining tank occupants alone!

As soon as my LFS gets more peppered cories, I will augment the school, but now there's less of a rush to do so since they are able to feed without fear of 'assault'!

Thanks to all :;hi1