One Tiger Barb Acting Weird?

Chenpoes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have 6 tiger barbs, and one has been acting weird. They stopped schooling with the others and have just been sitting, facing a bit downwards and just kind of fluttering their fins. I've had them for two weeks and they were doing just fine until today. As the others barbs were swimming around, one tried to school with them and they ran away from them as quick as possible. I wouldn't think they're being bullied because they're the biggest barb in the group.
20190914_221341.jpg

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe the pictured female Tiger Barb has been bullied. The dorsal fin has suffered a lot of damage, probably due to fin nipping.

Chenpoes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I believe the pictured female Tiger Barb has been bullied. The dorsal fin has suffered a lot of damage, probably due to fin nipping.
Is there anything that can be done about this?

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depending on the size of your tank, adding two or three more Tiger Barbs might help dilute the aggression.
Male Tiger barbs have red noses. Chances are a dominant male is causing problems.

Chenpoes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Depending on the size of your tank, adding two or three more Tiger Barbs might help dilute the aggression.
Male Tiger barbs have red noses. Chances are a dominant male is causing problems.
They're in a 55 so adding more is no problem, been meaning to anyways but was stocking pretty slow. Thank you for the help!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Depending on what else is in your 55 i would add at least 6-8. I just recently jumped to the Tiger Barb world and added 10 to my 29 and they are shoaling and aquiring their social pecking order already.

Chenpoes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Depending on what else is in your 55 i would add at least 6-8. I just recently jumped to the Tiger Barb world and added 10 to my 29 and they are shoaling and aquiring their social pecking order already.
At the moment the only other things in there are a handful of ghost shrimp and some kuhli loaches, so I wouldn't imagine adding that many to be a problem. Probably a good idea, they seem to get seperated easily with that much space and then the little groups start picking on the shrimp... I actually had no idea what I was going to put in this tank when I set it up, maybe itll end up being almost all tiger barbs!

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
At the moment the only other things in there are a handful of ghost shrimp and some kuhli loaches, so I wouldn't imagine adding that many to be a problem. Probably a good idea, they seem to get seperated easily with that much space and then the little groups start picking on the shrimp... I actually had no idea what I was going to put in this tank when I set it up, maybe itll end up being almost all tiger barbs!
I would keep it all barbs and khulis. You could probably eventually have 15 of each comfortably.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When I kept a Tiger Barb community, I mixed the Standard Tigers with the Albino-Orange & Platinum Green Tigers. It really made a pretty tank.

Chenpoes

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Update: added 8 more barbs to the tank and thought things were going well but maybe not checked on her this morning and she's exhibiting the same behavior and her fins look even worse for wear. Wondering if she's maybe just a lost cause? Or if I seperated her from them and let her fins heal up would that make a difference? Still feel real bad for her though. On the bright side, glad I added more barbs, the bigger school of them is really nice to look at.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All Barbs aren't created equal. Some are weak, some are strong. All you can do is provide a good evironment and try to manage natural aggression issues. Most survive, but some won't. Sounds like you are doing a great job with your Barb tank. Be sure to post pics.

Mickiemas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had 8 tiger barbs and sometimes they would split up in the mornings fortunately there were no aggression with mine until I put them in a breeding tank and ended up losing 3 but the upside is I now have over 100 fry that's a week old hopefully a few will make it to adult.
you guys can check out the video.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 52 66.7%

Top Bottom