One Tetra Left, First Time Tetra Owner

Potter2645

Hey y'all! Let me preface by saying I know tetras are meant to be in schools, but this is sort of an unique situation.

I am getting a 36 gallon tank from a relative for free with the condition that I take their last remaining fish, a pink neon tetra. They say he is pretty old, unsure of exact age, and he is alone in his tank. I want to do what's best for him but I am also not super interested in keeping a tetra tank.

He's been on his own in this huge tank for a few months with no issue; he's still eating, he's not hiding, etc. I would like to move him into a 5 or 10 gallon to live out his final days, but here is my question. Since he has been doing okay alone, is it necessary that I get him the rest of his school? I want to do what is best for him, but I have no interest in keeping a full tetra tank once he passes on and I am left with younger fish. For reference, this tank is *not* going to be restocked with fish, if it was, I would just get him a school!

StarGirl

I wouldnt worry if hes doing fine. Im sure its not optimum but he will be ok. Pay attention to how he acts in the smaller tank. I would go 10g if you have a choice. I have a few tetras that are by themselves and act normal too. I am not re stocking those schools either.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
oaktree
  • Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
Jonahtheplecolvr
  • Question