One Super Aggressive Zebra Danio Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Quarantine' started by CosmicDodo42, Apr 12, 2018.

1. CosmicDodo42

CosmicDodo42 Valued Member Member

i have had my six Zebra Danios from the start of my tank, four weeks ago. One of them is crazy aggressive(he has been since the start of the tank, I got him from petco) I decided to finally quarantine him in a fishbowl, after I saw all my other fish extremely stressed. He’ll be there until I can figure out what to do with him. Please help! I think he is a male( are those silver?) and the others are female(gold?).

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you take a pic of him and the others? Color has nothing to do with sex in zebra danios.

Counterintuitively, it may make him less aggressive if you add more danios to the tank.

What size tank is this, and what's the complete stocking?

3. OP
    OP
    CosmicDodo42

It’s a 20 gal. He’s been aggressive even when there were only Danios in the tank(he was the first one I put in).
    4x platys
    6x Zebra Danios
    4x kuhli Loaches
    7x glofish Tetras
    I recently saw him pick at the Tetras, which is why I took him out of the tank

4. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

You might want to give him a second chance. Taking him out of the tank and keeping him out may give him an attitude adjustment. Taking him out and then putting him back in will make him the new guy in the tank and he might calm right down.

I had to do that years ago in my female betta tank. One of them was very aggressive so I removed her. When I put her back in she was a perfect little tank mate and stayed that way.

5. OP
    OP
    CosmicDodo42

Okay thanks! I’ll try that!

6. ParrotCichlid

ParrotCichlid Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately you can just end up with one psycho fish out of the shoal.

If putting him back into the tank doesn't work then Its probably best to rehome him into a tank with larger fish species. I know danios are not supposed to be kept alone but sometimes thats the only way forward with a rogue fish.

7. TexasDomer

Is this a 20 gal long or high?

8. OP
    OP
    CosmicDodo42

20 long

9. OP
    OP
    CosmicDodo42

He’s started to calm down now, after I quarantined him for the night, but he is starting to appear pretty aggressive again. Should I re-quarantine him?

10. TexasDomer

I'd add more danios, or rehome him if you don't want to do that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice