One Step Forward Two Steps Back

1. Cneum

Cneum New Member Member

I just recently did a water change for about 1/3 of the tank, introduced a moss ball, and a now dual air/bubble wall setup as well as a submersible heater and thermometer replacing the overdue-falling apart filter cartridge out, with the new carbon but keeping the cycled driftwood plant piece alone and minimally cleaning the walls of the tank.

My fancy tail was having issues with her swim bladder which I feel was due to over feeding and or malnutrition which prompted me to make some changes and monitor her eating. She got better and is now good ☺️ However when I got home from work I noticed red spots almost like an ammonia burn or something of that nature so I test the water and it's still high almost the same as before the water change. Around 2-4ppm from the test...

I have a 20 gallon bare bottom tank, dual bubble walls, Whisper filter, submersible heater and a hanging submersible thermometer with the driftwood piece and a moss ball. I only feed her once a day as to not have any issues with her swim bladder and she's about 3 1/2. Hope that helps. IMG_0915.JPG IMG_0953.JPG IMG_0955.JPG IMG_0962.JPG IMG_0965.JPG IMG_0969.JPG IMG_0972.JPG IMG_0973.JPG IMG_0977.JPG IMG_0979.JPG

2. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

Do another 50% water change right now. Then in about 30 mins. after that one do another.
    Test the water again and if the ammonia is still above 0 do another water change.
    Do you have Prime?
    You are going to have to cycle her tank again. When you threw out the old filter media you basically threw out your bio-filter.
    What size filter do you have?

3. O

Actually I'm just gonna type out what you need to do now since I'm about to get off for the night.

You need a filter that is for a tank that is at least double the size of the tank you have. Since you have a 20 gal tank I would get a filter rated for a 40 gal tank or higher, with higher being better.
    Don't take out your old filter. Run both filters on the tank for a month or just keep using both as you need a very large Bio-filter for a Goldfish.

Keep testing the water everyday and do water changes accordingly. Get some Prime water conditioner if you don't already have some.

Once your tank is cycled again always add the new filter media in with the old media for at least 2 weeks before you throw out the old media. You have to seed the new filter media so you don't lose your cycle.

As far as the swim bladder issues, have you been feeding her vegetables? They need veggies in their diet to help keep their digestive system working properly. Zucchini, cucumber, spinach, kale, and broccoli are all good. Lightly boil them till they are soft and feed her some every other day or every day.

4. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

deffinetly appears to be ammonia burns, since your ammonia is high as suggested above , I would do frequent 50% water changes to get that number down also would be good to get Seachem prime which will make ammonia and nitrITes up to 1 ppm non toxic for 48 hour period.

with a HOB filter always shoot for 10x the amount of filtration meaning 20gal×10=200gal/h. What do you currently have?

also NEVER shoot out media unless it's leterrally falling apart which wouldn't make sense and even that you would have to seed new media before getting rid of the old, carbon isn't nesaccery unless removing meds , it's always best to just have a sponge and the rest filled up with bio media.

Good Luck and keep us updated.

5. OP
    OP
    Cneum

Cneum New Member Member

I thought I was doing the right thing :/ I guess mistakes are bound to happen and I can only learn. I don't have Prime or water to do the water change yet I have to go to the store and I also would have to pick up the new filter. Right now I have a Whisper cartridge filter for a 10-20gal tank. She's the only rank mate and I feed her fresh peas once a day, as it worked since I've tried feeding em to her and she loves em. When I try new things she tends to not care so much.

6. JesseMoreira06

why not use tap water?

7. OP
    OP
    Cneum

Cneum New Member Member

I'm not really sure, a few people told me from their experience that Distilled Water was best, also most tap water is has chlorine and other contaminants. How would I go about using tap water, since I've never done that before.

8. O

You can absolutely use tap water unless your water goes through a water filter or softener.
    That's why you use a water conditioner. It removes the chlorine and other heavy metals to make the water safe for your fish.

9. JesseMoreira06

If you get Seachem PRIME which is a de-clhorinator, it'll remove clorine and other contaminants also makes ammonia and nitrite up to 1ppm nom toxic for a 48 hour period.

try testing the parameters of your tap water and post the results here.