One skinny guppy, all the others are fat

Deepseadivingforanswers

Reaction score
Hi, i Have noticed that 4 new guppies I introduced a week ago have very large stomachs especially after eating (don’t think it’s bloat) whereas one of my original guppies never gains weight or ever shows a larger belly. I’m worried cause I recently lost a guppy due to wasting away. Could it be parasites? He’s been like this for like 2 months which is about when I got him and his friend (who is also smaller but is a bit more filled out)l The photos show the comparison with the white one being the skinny one and the others are fat (second pick the yellow one is above the white one). I’ve just fed them that’s why they’re like That. Other then that the fish seems quite happy, was actually the bully to the new fish ironically. I think they’re friends now though. could it be internal parasites?

Attachments

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Do you have a routine for worming?
Have you ever wormed any of the fish?

If the answer is no to these questions then yes you need to follow the instructions for a good deworming medication in my opinion and that of many fish keepers.

Attachments

thatfishlover122

Reaction score
one of my females is doing this too - recently she's been stressed and didnt want to eat but she's slowly getting to the same size as the others now

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It looks like the "skinny" one is a male. Males generally are not as round as the girls. Its not uncommon at all. Males are more streamlined in body shape, females will change size dependent on if they're pregnant, how far along they are, and how many babies they have in there :p

I don't see anything that would make me think parasites or anything

OP
Deepseadivingforanswers

Deepseadivingforanswers

Reaction score
e_watson09 said:
It looks like the "skinny" one is a male. Males generally are not as round as the girls. Its not uncommon at all. Males are more streamlined in body shape, females will change size dependent on if they're pregnant, how far along they are, and how many babies they have in there :p

I don't see anything that would make me think parasites or anything
but they are all male, I haven’t got any females

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Deepseadivingforanswers said:
but they are all male, I haven’t got any females
The one with the orange tail and the one with the light yellow tail are both female :)

OP
Deepseadivingforanswers

Deepseadivingforanswers

Reaction score
Flyfisha said:
Do you have a routine for worming?
Have you ever wormed any of the fish?

If the answer is no to these questions then yes you need to follow the instructions for a good deworming medication in my opinion and that of many fish keepers.
The only thing I have treated for is external parasites like flukes, cause that’s the only meds I’ve got available. I have ordered the General Cure one online, bit it won’t get here till the end of May even though I ordered it a month ago (from the US, I’m in Australia). The only pet store in Australia that sells internal parasite meds is only for tapeworms and flukes from blue planet.
I’ve thought it was internal parasites ever since my other fish started wasting away and that’s why I ordered it then, it’s just really frustrating that there’s nothing more easily accessible. I may have to see if I can order one that’s closer to here. Thanks for the advice though!
do you recon I should treat the whole tank or put him in the quarantine tank and treat?

OP
Deepseadivingforanswers

Deepseadivingforanswers

Reaction score
e_watson09 said:
The one with the orange tail and the one with the light yellow tail are both female :)
i have considered that cause they are so round, and thought that the pet store gave me the wrong gender. But i Really hope not cause thata more stress I don’t need :confused: hahaha

OP
Deepseadivingforanswers

Deepseadivingforanswers

Reaction score
guppyandbettaowner said:
one of my females is doing this too - recently she's been stressed and didnt want to eat but she's slowly getting to the same size as the others now
Did you treat her for anything?

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hey Deepseadivingforanswers,
I live down under to and got the Prazipro from the UK .
The distributors know what they are selling around the world and exported it labeled as human cosmetics to get it though customs. From memory it took a fortnight. The blue planet tablets are in common usage apart from the price they are highly recommended. Some shops have the bigger bottles of tablets at a better price by the way

I got de worming powder from my local club members when I finally worked out what was wrong. Since then I have order more powder online. Sorry no idea where.

Post #7 .
Should I treat the whole tank.
Yes I believe so . Live bearers are considered likely to have worms.

OP
Deepseadivingforanswers

Deepseadivingforanswers

Reaction score
Flyfisha said:
Hey Deepseadivingforanswers,
I live down under to and got the Prazipro from the UK .
The distributors know what they are selling around the world and exported it labeled as human cosmetics to get it though customs. From memory it took a fortnight. The blue planet tablets are in common usage apart from the price they are highly recommended. Some shops have the bigger bottles of tablets at a better price by the way

I got de worming powder from my local club members when I finally worked out what was wrong. Since then I have order more powder online. Sorry no idea where.

Post #7 .
Should I treat the whole tank.
Yes I believe so . Live bearers are considered likely to have worms.
Yeah it’s a real pain just to get the basic meds for them. Did you mean the blue planet tablets for external or internal parasites?
Do u know what brand of dewormer powder you used?
Thanks very much for the info, when I finally get the General Cure meds I’ll treat the whole tank, and hope it works.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Blue planet “ Fluke and tapeworm is the one I see for an exorbitant price sold at Petbarn. That’s the one I was using and had recommended by “Allfish2you” in Penrith.NSW.

The powder is a pain to measure for small tanks . The powder is flubendazole ,the real deal.

Attachments

OP
Deepseadivingforanswers

Deepseadivingforanswers

Reaction score
Flyfisha said:
Blue planet “ Fluke and tapeworm is the one I see for an exorbitant price sold at Petbarn. That’s the one I was using and had recommended by “Allfish2you” in Penrith.NSW.

The powder is a pain to measure for small tanks . The powder is flubendazole ,the real deal.
Oh sweet I just bought that exact one from PetStock today, as its the only thing that’s remotely related to dewormer, and yes very pricey for what it is :\
thanks for the info, ill see how these meds work and then I may look into that powder, but my tanks only 60litres so it may be a bit difficult.
thank you :)

thatfishlover122

Reaction score
Deepseadivingforanswers said:
Did you treat her for anything?
no, she calmed down and got her appetite back. She still has quite a skinny body compared to my other two. I've been cycling a new tank for my 3 female adults because they're scared of my female betta. They're going into the new tank today with some of their fry too (the tank is 60 litres). So, i'm hoping when she's no longer scared, she'll become brave and happier!

OP
Deepseadivingforanswers

Deepseadivingforanswers

Reaction score
UPDATE
the white one seems to have improved and has gained some weight since using the fluke and tapeworm medication.thanks everyone for the help. He’s still picky with particular food though which is a pain :/

New Threads