One seahorse left! I was worried about these guys with good reason! :(

Claire Bear

I lost three of the four seahorses. My spouse sort of slacked off on the care-I work and he is retired. I had an expectation of him caring for them as he had the first group but life got in the way! I got into my really busy time at work and didn't notice their declining condition until it was too late.
I also think they just had too much room in my 55 gallon tank (so very tiny as these were) and were not eating enough-often enough as they had just too much room.
I have moved the survivor into a breeding net and it seems to be doing okay. I will leave it in the net for the short time-provided it makes it and then see what I will do next. One problem is these guys are herd animals and do not do well alone. I will decide cautiously whether to sell this one or to purchase one additional one-just not sure I want to invest any more money in this particular type fish.
I am not as bummed out as I was the first time as I did not have as good a feeling about these guys as I did the group that died due to the heater malfunction.

Rivieraneo

I lost three of the four seahorses. My spouse sort of slacked off on the care-I work and he is retired. I had an expectation of him caring for them as he had the first group but life got in the way! I got into my really busy time at work and didn't notice their declining condition until it was too late.
I also think they just had too much room in my 55 gallon tank (so very tiny as these were) and were not eating enough-often enough as they had just too much room.
I have moved the survivor into a breeding net and it seems to be doing okay. I will leave it in the net for the short time-provided it makes it and then see what I will do next. One problem is these guys are herd animals and do not do well alone. I will decide cautiously whether to sell this one or to purchase one additional one-just not sure I want to invest any more money in this particular type fish.
I am not as bummed out as I was the first time as I did not have as good a feeling about these guys as I did the group that died due to the heater malfunction.

Sorry to hear claire I would opt for you purchasing on more little guy

Acereaux

Oh what a bummer... Sorry you've had rotten luck with these guys. :/

Lucy

That really stinks Claire

I'm so sorry.
Maybe the little guy will rally if another was there for security.

Claire Bear

I am seriously holding off to see if he makes it. I am going to move him to a quarantine tank and treat with kanplex as he should be eating (I put the lone clown in with him for company) and he is not snickering as he should.
They are both in the breeders net and he/she is still hitched to a tree. The problem is, even one is just over a hundred and fifty dollars. I could get one that would be black for about a 100.00-not sure yet what I will do.
I have well over a thousand invested at this point!

Acereaux

Oh my, I didn't know those little guys got to be so expensive. I'm sorry, that really sucks.

Claire Bear

yes, they are fairly expensive,, especially when you add the cost of shipping. That of course is with shipping. I was really bummed when I lost the first group as they were doing so well but this second group did not.
I think for now, this one will just have to go it alone.
Oh my, I didn't know those little guys got to be so expensive. I'm sorry, that really sucks.

Acereaux

He can do it, I believe in him! It would be interesting to see what laws would prevent people from taking wildlife (i.e. seahorses) from the ocean. I'm sure there are a ton but it would still be kind of cool if you could go scuba diving or something and get a couple that way. Although I bet that would be really stressful for them... Fun thought though. I wonder if you could get licensed to specifically fish for seahorses?

MJDuti

ah, not the sea horses! Sorry to hear that...but it makes me believe I should teach my wife how I handle and care for my current tanks, just in case.

You have to keep the survivor alive. Would he work in any of your other 1,298 tanks?

Claire Bear

I now have in a small spare tank MJDuti, I am working on it. He is getting live brine and copepods plus frozen mysis shrimp-I am hoping he pulls through! If he is alive after Christmas, I will purchase another one.
I am rooting for him! Acereaux, mine is a tank bred and raised-8th generation removed from the ocean. He would not do well with a wild caught fish. They would carry things that mine has not been exposed to and mine would then surely die. Or the wild caught would catch something plus wild caught will only eat live food.

I am hopeful for my little guy!

Acereaux

Yeah, I figured that it'd be impossible. 'Twas a nice dream though

TracyLeeAnne

Sorry, Clair. They are so sensitive. That's why I've been moving so painfully slow on my own SH tank, trying so hard to get all the parameters just perfect. Are yours Ocean Rider seahorses? I'm just curious since that's where mine will come from. I'm super nervous about having exactly this experience you've just struggled through. Hope your last one pulls through. Sending little snicker (((e-hugs))) your way.

Claire Bear

HI TracyH67
Spunky looks good today and is eating again-I started hatching brine shrimp eggs and it is snickering those. Mine are from seahorse coral, that is where my first group came from btw and they were super healthy.
I really think this was a food issue as now that this one is eating-I ended up not using meds and just the brine, copepods and frozen Mysis but making sure it gets food!
Good luck with yours!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • BigFish99
  • pH
Replies
Views
BigFish99
55 Gallon Tank New Member Introduction
Replies
Views
Ekunk64