one pleco or two?

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
for the fairly empty 28 gal with just the scissor tailed rasboras in, i need a clean up crew! now my loach does limit what other fish can go with him and he's not a very good cleaner, so hes not at all my fave fish... but i just cant help but love my bristlenose, so i think i'll get another one of those for that tank. now i remember butterfly saying in my 45 gal i could probably have 2 BN's and they'd be fine, but would this work in a 28 gal if i put in plenty of caves etc or will they be too close for comfort?

also any other suggestions on what to put in there? some platties for some colour?

thanks
Tan

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As long as you have plenty of hiding places another bristlenose would be fine, I'm surprised one isn't keeping a tank that size clean.
Most loaches need to be in groups to display their natural habits and to be happy.
Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Butterfly said:
As long as you have plenty of hiding places another bristlenose would be fine, I'm surprised one isn't keeping a tank that size clean.
Most loaches need to be in groups to display their natural habits and to be happy.
Carol
i think i just got a lazy loach!!! the tank is small, its in a shadier part of the room and he cant manage it!!! whereas mrs bristlenose has a much bigger tank, she's alot smaller and the tank does get direct sunlight so is prone to algae, yet the tank is spotless!! my loach has too many breaks and goes off for a swim.....whereas mrs bristlenose isnt much of a swimmer, so she works through her breaks and does plenty of overtime!!!!!!!!!! mrs bristlenose is so hardworking she deserves a friend and then she can relax a little! well...thats decided then!! i'll get one soon for her! will have to move some fish out of there too or it'll way over the limit with another bn. still undecided what algae eater to go in the other 28 gal with the scissor tails. i want something different, but i just think BN's are so cool, so its likely to be another couple of bns!!
i cant get mr loach any friends as i heard they grow quite big and i'd have no space for several huge loaches, so hopefully he'll be ok on his own?
tan 

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
as always, not the clearest, but at least i've figured out how to make them smaller!!

also another query.....are all bn's like chameleons?! mine goes black when he's on his black log, but goes almost pinky white when hes on the white gravel. facinating, but not what i expected!! when he first went pale i though he was ill, only to see him scuttle over to his log where he changed colour. is it anything to do with the lignin they eat when on the log, or just that they camouflage themselves against any background? he hasnt turned green yet!!!!!!! lol!
tan

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
beautiful BN yes they seem to change colors for various reasons, their eating, their laying on something different, they want to etc. It's perfectly natural. Looks an ancistrus sp(3) (scientific name

Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
morning butterfly!
good to hear imitating a chameleon is normal!! 
surprised you could even tell is was a pleco! you're a star ! my camera really does takes rubbish fish pictures  :. very annoying!
thanks for the link. those pictures of the females are just like my pleco! much appreciated.
Tan 

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome as always The pics look like some of mine so I don't have any problem telling whats in them
Carol

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
clear to the trained eye then!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom