One pleco & one cherry shrimp dead within 12hrs!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Nonie, Jul 9, 2015.

1. NonieNew MemberMember

First off, I want to say that I am new to keeping an aquarium. I've had a 23L(6gallon) freshwater tank for about 3 months now, with no issues... Thanks to this forum!
    I perform water checks once a week, and all readings are within normal. Water temp is at 28 degrees C (82.4F- I live in the south of France).
    My tank contains :
    2 rasboras
    2 rummynose tetras
    3 corydoras
    3 ghost shrimp
    2 cherry shrimp + new shrimplets
    1 pleco (deceased)
    1 cherry shrimp (deceased )
    I came home yesterday to find my pleco dead, with no visible physical signs of trauma etc. this morning I found a dead cherry shrimp.
    I would really appreciate any guidance, as I'm really worried they will all die off :(

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

That water is pretty warm, you may want to dial that back a bit into the high 70s.

What did you feed the pleco?

By the way, the tank is over stocked for any of those fish. I wouldn't put anything other than a betta in the tank.

3. PuffPuff

PuffPuffWell Known MemberMember

that is a super fully stock to capacity tank. also like LiterallyHydro stated, that temp is to high for these fishes. im sure the pleco as well as the other fish are stressed. killing them. rehome them to a bigger tank or remove some of them

4. OP
    OP
    N

NonieNew MemberMember

I'm in the process of getting an air conditioner installed ; the water is currently at room temp :(
    I fed him pellets that the corydoras were also eating and they all seemed to have a healthy appetite these past three months. Sometimes the pleco (Mr.Big) would push everyone out of the way and literally sit on the pellet for about 10 minutes at a time.
    Thank you so much for your quick reply... I'm really very distraught

Work hard. Play hard. Die hard

Thank you LiterallyHydro and Puffpuff... I will get another tank today, and move the current one into an air conditioned room.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  5. PuffPuff

how big is that Pleco. i had a so called common pleco got him 6 months ago and when i got him he was half an inch now he's a 2 and a half inches long. out of nowhere.

6. LiterallyHydro

Honestly, for those fish, you might want to up the tank size to 29 gallons. Even a 10 gallon or a 20 gallon will be pretty full.

7. OP
    OP
    N

NonieNew MemberMember

Puffpuff he was 1.5 inches. I'm going to separate them into two different tanks

8. PuffPuff

nice size. Plecos are amazing. happy fish keeping :D

9. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

To the OP, what are your water parameters and do you have a test kit to check? They may have died from ammonia poisoning, being way overstocked in that tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fish Lore!!! Awesome that you live in France, I really want to go there someday! :D

Okay, first off, your tank is/was majorly overstocked. Do you know what kind of pleco he was?

Also, the rasboras (as far as I know), cories, and rummy nose tetras all need schools of six or more.

Secondly the pleco was, as you've already been told, too big for that tank.

And yes, the tank was overheated, but looks like you're trying to fix that problem already.

What are your exact readings and what test kit are you using?

Good luck! :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  11. OP
    OP
    N

NonieNew MemberMember

The test kit I use is a 6 in 1 one by Tetra®. They are strips that you dip in and then you follow a color chart to know if you're within normal range. Writing this now, I don't know how reliable it is :(
    Ammonia and all other parameters fell within normal range :(

BornThisWayBettas thanks for the lovely welcome message ; I feel very out of my league here with all you professionals ! :)
    Living in France is interesting , but the cliché IS true; if you don't speak French you're toast ! Lol

12. PuffPuff

i like the API test kits. way more better, but you have to have a good eye to color match the chart to your chemical test tube.

13. thefishdude277

thefishdude277Well Known MemberMember

Don't use strips, use liquid testers
    And you should re home the pleco of you don't have a spare 150 gallon tank for it
    You should also get at least a 30 gallon for all the fish you have right now

:)

14. LiterallyHydro

The reason for you wanting a 29 or 30 aquarium is because most of the fish you have are schooling fish so you will want to increase the numbers of each fish to a minimum of six.

The test kit everyone else is referring to is the API freshwater master test kit. I find it online for 20 to 25 USD.

15. OP
    OP
    N

NonieNew MemberMember

Thefishdude227 the pleco is sadly no longer with us...
    Actually on my way now to get a bigger tank! On that note, I should go bcz don't wanna b texting and driving lol catch y'all later and thank you so much!!!!!

16. LiterallyHydro

Remember to aim for 29 gallons or larger. You won't be disappointed with that size anyway.

17. mammaguppy

mammaguppyValued MemberMember

How big is your pleco ? I got mine when they were just over an inch long. A year later,they're now over six inches. They are currently around seven inches

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

18. LiterallyHydro

That pleco is dead, as the OP stated. He also mentioned it being 1.5 inches.

19. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Might as well go big or go home, and get a 40 Breeder or 55! :D

20. LiterallyHydro

Why stop there? get an 8' 540. ;D My LFS has a 540 gallon 8' display tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice