One out of four of my bettas, is pretty scared of me

ap4lmtree

One out of four of my bettas, is pretty scared of me. He hides and swims away from me whereas all my other bettas will come to the front of my tanks and interact with me. So, today I think I started using zoo med floating mirror. I think maybe this would help him gain more confidence? For one, he gets angry instead of scared, and then he thinks he successfully guarded the tank territory when I take the mirror away?

I would like it so he comes to the front of the tank and does not get scared if I put my finger above him to move water around him to pet him in a sort of way.

devin s.

How new is he?

California L33

It can be difficult to deal with a skittish fish. The best way is probably to try to get him to associate you with food. Approach the tank very slowly, look in, see him spying out at you, then give him some food signal. (I trained mine by always feeding after turning the tank lights on, then passed my hand slowly under the light three times to cast three slow and predictable shadows). After the food signal add the food and slowly move away. Eventually he should associate the signal with the food, you with the signal.

It's important to always move slowly by his tank, and never to drop the lid or do anything else to startle him or make him think you're a predator. (If you try my method, be certain to make the shadows appear and vanish slowly and predictably, as a fast moving shadow above can signal the flight response.)

Remember that Bettas have good eyesight. They can see out of the tank a long way. I can get mine to respond to me from 15 feet away, so they see at least that far, even if not in perfect focus. You don't want anything chaotic going on in the background as you're trying to train him- no jumping dog, cartwheeling little sister, or flashing TV screen.

CanadianFishFan

I just got my new betta I saved from someone else and it took him 2 weeks to finally not be scared of me. He used to spazz out and hide when I entered the room but now he greets me with my other 8bettas. It just takes time how long have you had him?

ap4lmtree

ive had this betta for over 4 months.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sokamix
  • Question
Replies
Views
FoldedCheese
Replies
Views