One Or Two Hob Filters?

1. Barry Wilson

Barry Wilson New Member Member

I'm planning to purchase a 65 gallon tank within the next few days/weeks and I want this to be the best aquarium build I've ever done. This will also be the largest tank I've ever had and I want to do it right.

On the filter, I wish I could afford a canister, but those are out of my price range (The cost of all the stuff adds up quickly.) Right now I'm looking at Fluval AquaClear filters. Now, I know the strength of the filter depends on the potential bio-load; however, I'm wondering that in a tank this size would it be better to hang an AquaClear 70 OR would it be better to hang two smaller filters at either end?

I know there's no way to answer this accurately, but I'd like to know if there are any thoughts on the principles of single or double filters.

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

One AquaClear 70 won't hold the tank long enough. You'll run into filtration problems. As the bio-load builds up it will barely try convert the ammonia. Your best best is to get a AquaClear 110 as that will be suitable for a 65. You can always add a smaller one along with the 110 just for insurance purposes.

3. OP
    OP
    Barry Wilson

Man, I love this forum! Thanx Fashooga.

4. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

If you like the aquaclear 70, get two. I run 2 HOB's plus 2 dual sponge filters in my 55 gallon. The more filtration/filter media the better.

By having 2 HOB's you should have fewer dead spots in your tank.

5. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I was always running two filters on my 31 until I upgraded my HOB and only ran it alone.

6. Biev

Biev Valued Member Member

If you want a large capacity for bio filtration without paying for a canister, I'd recommend a mattenfilter. I use them in all my large tanks, they do a great job and require virtually no maintenance.

7. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I run 2 filters on at least one of my tanks. That way, I can set up a new tank in seconds!

I would go with an Aquaclear 110 as @Fashooga said. Aquaclears are pretty good HOBs.

If you want another filter, go for a large-ish corner sponge filter. It will fit in any other tank you would want to start up.

8. OP
    OP
    Barry Wilson

Ah ha! I've never heard of "dead spots". Makes sense.

9. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

A dead spot is simply a place in your tank with very little water movement. With just one filter on a 75 gallon tank and if it was centered on the back, each end of the tank would have dead spots.

They can be taken care of with air stones or minimized by having 2 HOB's. My concern was still having dead spots even with 2 filters so I have a dual sponge filter located on each back corner.

The other good thing about having more than one filter, you will have extra seeded media in case you want to start another tank or need an emergency tank.

10. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I also have double sponge filters in all of my tanks.
    Too.

But i’m beginning to see disadvantages.

They are unsightly so I try to hide em with vegetation, they take up a lot of room in the tank, fish hide behind them, especially when trying to net them, they don’t clear murky water very fast.

But I have never had problems with a cycle after established, they are easy to clean, easy to move to another tank for instant cycle, fry and shrimp love eating off of them, they give off minimal current so that’s all I have in my 20 gallon betta tank and they are cheap.

So I guess until I get a real “Show” tank i’all keep running em like you although I have started going with the small single sponge in some instances since they are easier to hide.

11. l

lodingi New Member Member

I would go with an AC110 and add a second when you're able.