One Or Two Filters?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why would this be better than two Tidal 75s or two Fluval 307s (or one FX4 or one of the big Sunsuns for a fraction of the price)? I don't understand the desire to go with one HOB and one canister.
The reason I say one of both is. The canister with an intake sponge on it can run for a long time between cleanings. It will be breaking down all the waste that goes through it and in time help remove nitrates from the tank. The hob will be removing all the stuff floating around in the tank and keeping the water clean and looking clean. The hob set up with sponges a nice layer of filter floss and some matrix will be the workhorse and should be cleaned weekly with the intake sponge on the canister. These should be cleaned at water changes.
Ok 2 hobs would work clean one every other week at water changes. 2canisters I just dont see the advantage.
As to what type of canisters I just went with what was offered. Yes there are other cheaper canisters that can be used. All do the same thing. Most have 3/4” hoses.

JayH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The reason I say one of both is. The canister with an intake sponge on it can run for a long time between cleanings. It will be breaking down all the waste that goes through it and in time help remove nitrates from the tank. The hob will be removing all the stuff floating around in the tank and keeping the water clean and looking clean.
So, if I'm understanding this, you essentially want the HOB to do most of the mechanical filtration and the canister to do most of the biological filtration. I gather the theory is the HOB will be easier to clean on a regular basis. The canister can be left alone for extended periods, allowing bacteria to develop and do its thing.

I guess I can see what, though weekly cleanings of the HOB seems a bit excessive. Put intake sponges on both filters and clean those weekly, then the HOB should be good for much longer between cleanings. I'd also question the inclusion of Matrix in the HOB. It certainly can do mechanical filtering, but it's going to be nearly impossible to clean, so that means changing it out periodically. If you're going to use Matrix, put it in the canister where it can sit undisturbed for a year at a time and you'll be much more likely to develop nitrate-eating bacteria.

I can't help but feel the use of two completely different filters is an unwarranted complication. Put a filter booster in front of the canister, fill it will filter foam and floss, and you've got ample mechanical filtration. This frees up all the space in the canister for biological media. And it will be even better protected against muck clogging it since you'll have all that mechanical media in the booster. Should be easy to pop out the booster and take it to the sink for regular cleanings.

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom