One Or Two Filters?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by WilleyMunda, Sep 11, 2019.

1. WilleyMunda

WilleyMundaNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    What is everyone’s view on using either 1 large external filter or 2x smaller external filters? I didn’t like the idea of using 2x small filters as it would mean having four individual pipes going into the tank?

2. Benfreshwater

BenfreshwaterValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +147
    Experience:
    Just started
    What size tank are you putting them into? And will you be doing regular maintenance like gravel/sand vaccuming and water changes?

3. OP
    OP
    WilleyMunda

Ratings:
    +0
    I’m going to get a 240 litre tank with Cichlids which are very messy fish apparently. Firstly considered 1x Fluval FX4 which might be too powerful, so now considering 2x Fluval 207’s or 2x Fluval 307’s. I was planning to try and do maintenance regularly

4. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,102
    Experience:
    2 years
    I have a canister and HOB on my 55-20 and I also run sponge filters in most all my other tanks with HOBs . IMO Having 2 filters will give you piece of mind if one ever has an issue

5. Benfreshwater

BenfreshwaterValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +147
    Experience:
    Just started
    To powerful in what way? To much flow? Because in my opinion you can't "over filtrate" the water. I run 2 filters like said before me just for piece of mind.

6. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,284
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would go with 2. The 307 with a sponge on the intake and an hob that’s moving 250gph. Good names are the tidal 75 or 110, the Marineland 350 (can be bought for around $30) or the aquaclear 70 or 110.
    2 just gives you pease of mind. If one stops the other is still running.

7. OP
    OP
    WilleyMunda

Ratings:
    +0

What is a HOB I don’t think we have them here in the UK

These are the specs from the fluval range we get here in the UK........Maybe 2x 307 model will give me enough filtration for a 240 Litre tank with cichlids in it?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2019
  8. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,277
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Sure you do.... Hang On Back filter.

Amazon.co.uk: hang on back filter

9. OP
    OP
    WilleyMunda

Ratings:
    +0
    i meant too powerful as in overkill especially as it doesn’t seem to fit in many tank cabinets either.......

Ok, but they don’t seem very big, would they work similar to an internal filter? One of the tank options would be a Juwel Rio 240 which comes with an internal filter? So could possibly run the fluval 407 model alongside the internal filter it comes with?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2019
  10. Cichlidude

Ratings:
    +1,277
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I might suggest Seachem Tidal filters for just some of the following advantages: Self priming w/submerged pump so it’s quiet and will always start after a power failure or maintenance, removable no spill media basket for easy cleaning and locks in place and won’t push up flooding your floor, variable flow control from 20-100% in 10% increments, built in skimmer, self cleaning impeller and comes with the best bio media, Seachem Matrix for nitrate reduction. The Tidal 110 would be perfect.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seachem-Ti...seachem+tidal&qid=1568230775&s=gateway&sr=8-4

11. OP
    OP
    WilleyMunda

Ratings:
    +0
    How can something so small do up too 400 Litres though? What external fluval model would I pair that with?

12. Cichlidude

Ratings:
    +1,277
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    That filter does 1700 lph. Your 240 liter tank only needs about 1900 lph. You can get smaller ones like the Tidal 75 and make up the difference with your other filter.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  13. 86 ssinit

Ratings:
    +3,284
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    For the best results I’d go with the tidal 75 and the fluval 307. Combine both and you have plenty of filtration. The 307 moves 1100lph the tidal moves 1500lph. More than enough filtration :).

14. OP
    OP
    WilleyMunda

Ratings:
    +0
    ive looked at a video of them tidal now, they are much bigger than i realised hence why they can produce so much lph........the only problem i see with a 307 & the tidal HOB is that it wont work with the tank lid on either the Juwel Rio 240 or Eheim Vivaline 240?

15. 86 ssinit

Ratings:
    +3,284
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I don’t know either tank. But both of those filter are basic filters. So they should fit on any tank. All job and canisters look and work the same way. Do you have a pic of the tanks?

16. Mongo75

Mongo75Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +243
    Do you already have these tanks? Post photos of the rear of the canopies. What I read sounds like they have integrated filters, and without modifying or replacing the canopies, external filters may not be an option.

17. JayH

JayHValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +249
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Why would this be better than two Tidal 75s or two Fluval 307s (or one FX4 or one of the big Sunsuns for a fraction of the price)? I don't understand the desire to go with one HOB and one canister.

18. OP
    OP
    WilleyMunda

Ratings:
    +0

For me it would be better to not have a hang on filter due the the tank design. Anyone know how thick the pipes are for the fluval 307's? maybe i will just go down the route of 2x Fluval 307's for the 240 Litre tank of Cichlids. 2x 407 i think will be overkill

19. GlennO

GlennOValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +218
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I think an FX4 would be fine there are lots of ways to buffer flow if needed. Personally though I prefer to run 2 filters so one can run as backup and 2 outlets gives some additional options to manipulate flow. I have a 240L and run a 406 plus internal Eheim Pickup 200 which will be upgraded to a 307 or Eheim 2215 when fish are fully grown.

Btw the 306/7 & 406/7 hoses are 17mm (3/4").

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 8:24 AM
  20. Cichlidude

Ratings:
    +1,277
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    OK, fine, HOB's are out after all this. Expensive Fluvals will work but they are high profit items. A fluval 307 is $170 here in the states. You can get two Sunsun/Polar Aurora (1000 lph - $52) filters rated at 4 stars and above for that price. Or one larger one (2000) lph for only $75.

Become a Fishlore Member