One of the LFS VERY disappointing

1. outlaw Well Known Member Member

Was walking through the larger of the 2 LFS's yesterday. When I got to the Saltwater section, I noticed a Fire Angel was missing an eye and kept bumping into the wall. It would only stay in the corner though and not go any further. I couldn't see the other side right away so I walked around some more. When I came back, I was able to see the other eye was gone too.

The sticker on the tank said "Fire Angel- originally 69.99, one eye, visually impared- 29.99" If I remember correctly, It was in the tank with a Fox Face and another fish with a longer mouth. It reminded me of an ant-eater. I was shocked they would still sell the fish.

2. platy ben Well Known Member Member

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'm confused - why couldn't you still sell the fish?
    Are you saying they should give it away? Or euthanize it?

They are being open about the fact that it is visually impaired. If someone wants to give it a new home, maybe they could negotiate the price down further? I'm just not sure why this is wrong?

Or are you saying they should no longer sell whichever tankmate might have done the damage? ???

4. outlaw Well Known Member Member

How can you sell something like that for so much...

The fish didn't have any eyes. I don't think they could lie about it being "visually impaired". The one was missing completely and just had the eye socket, the other one definitely looks like it was attacked. Personally, I have no saltwater experience so I don't know if you can target feed it like a coral but with it not having any eyes, I couldn't see it surviving very long and would euthanize it.

When I was watching it, it would just sit in the corner and slowly bounce off the side wall, it would sometimes follow the side, then quick turn around back into the corner hitting the back glass. It wouldn't leave the corner.

We had a FW fish that was missing one eye when it was born and eventually was killed off by the other fish. If most fish are the same way, wouldn't that be torture for the fish?

This was just the worst one, they also had other fish in tanks that you can tell were clearly getting bitten and fin eaten as you could physically see chunks of the fins missing.

5. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I used to have a one eyed goldfish and it was fine, with one eye it is easy to get the fish to happily learn to live with one eye. But with no eyes? woah :(. It would be possible, to feed it anyway, I do this in all of my tanks incase I ever get an impaired fish born in the tanks which I breed in, tap on the hood of the tank and then feed :) However an adult fish with no eyes would be hard to teach this method so target feeding would be the only way, make a noise and then feed it from above, the fish should eventually, by instinct, know that that particular noise means food will come from above, making it swim to the surface to be fed.

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I guess I just don't have a problem with them selling the fish. People on this website report having blind fish. Any buyer would know what he's getting into.

So if they sold him for $5 or $1, then it would be okay, but since it's $30, that LFS is wrong? I don't know what the fish normally sell for, so I don't know if this is expensive or not. I just think that if someone wants to buy that fish, clearly knowing what they are getting into, then it's not a bad thing.

Anyway, I don't mean to turn this into a hot topic. ;)
    Merry Christmas to you and yours, Outlaw and platy ben.

7. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Thanks Meenu :D Merry christmas to you too :)

By the way, this type of fish normally costs about $70

8. outlaw Well Known Member Member

I'm not saying that a person wanting it shouldn't buy it. Obviously you would be able to tell that the fish couldn't see unless you yourself were also blind. It was more of, seems disappointing in that I would think they would separate the fish or know if they can/can't be put together. Again, I'm no fish expert, it just seems that some of their tanks could have been taken care of better or not so over stocked. I get they are a fish store and don't keep them very long in most cases but when they have empty tanks (sw and fw but no fish), I would think they would move some to lower the stress and better their health.

This is just my opinion though and people must not care too much otherwise they wouldn't be in business. We do have another LFS that I would rather buy my fish from though. Although smaller and a slightly higher price, they do seem to have a better quality fish selection.

If I seemed to have put some aggravation towards you, i apologize, it was purely meant at the LFS.

Merry Christmas to both of you as well.

Platy Ben- It wasn't the longnose hawkfish. If I remember correctly (notice a pattern yet? lol) it had white and brown on it. The nose was longer and kind of angled down at the mouth.

9. platy ben Well Known Member Member

A female birdmouth wrasse?
    Noo :p, whats the pattern lol?

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Oh, Outlaw, I wasn't feeling an hostility from you! I was just not understanding what exactly it is that you didn't approve of. I hope you didn't mind a lively debate about the topic. I agree with your decision to purchase fish from a store that takes good care of their stock, even at a higher price. :)

11. outlaw Well Known Member Member

lol.. It looked just like that.
    303.jpg

12. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Yup, thats a female birdmouth wrasse :)

13. outlaw Well Known Member Member

I have no problems having a good debate especially if it helps me and better yet others understand more then one point of view. I do sometimes feel to strongly about something though and start to throw an attitude with it even if I don't mean to... Although it seems to be need here at work sometimes.

There was something else I didn't care for when I was listening to another conversation with one of the associates and what seemed to be a new fish keeper.. but again I can't remember what it was, just that I had thrown the 'what the...' flag a few times. lol... I should really get that looked at. lol

Platy Ben- Good Call! even with my very vague description. :D

14. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

could you edit that to say "wth", please. It'll save the mods some work, and this website has some very yound people on it, so even such abbreviations aren't allowed. :)

15. platy ben Well Known Member Member

I've only kept marine for a couple of months and I'm now quitting as I've tried and found out I can't keep the high quality water so I'm giving the fish back to the LFS before they are unhealthy :)
    I make sure I know all of my species and I guess it really paid off there :D

16. outlaw Well Known Member Member

Done, I thought the abbreviation would have been OK, but is very understandable.

I agree it did. I was looking into doing it, but don't think my wallet will support that part of the hobby. Hopefully will be upgrading to a larger FW planted though.

17. mizzoufan96 Member Member

wowzers