One of the BEST HOB BETTA FILTERS edit: stupid hagen

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'v gota hand it to hagen, this has gota be one of the best small HOB filters. It has a flow adjustment so you can turn it down nice and pumps a nice 50gph. It's small and awfully quiet so far. here's a pic of it on the tank. Will post more stats of it later along with pics and link to the product page. Working on redoing the tank.

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Re: One of the BEST HOB BETTA FILTERS

ATM, what's the model # of the filter?

Mike

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Here you are. One problem I have is that it's a little noisy, not annoying or loud, just no silent. I think it just needs time to break in. Will post more pics and stats later. gota catch up on some posts, spent 3 hours on my tanks this afternoon.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've been considering buying a second tank sometime soon, likely a 10 gallon so I can divide a couple more bettas. I have been looking at some of these filters, as well as the Hagen Elite Stingray underwater filter. Anyone know much about the stingray?

What is a HOB filter anyway?

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score

HOB filter = Hang on the back filter (as opposed to a built-in filter like the one that comes in a Hex 5).

Mike

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

I have the stingray also in the tank, that's the filter on the right as you can see. Ask any questions about it and I'll answer asap. I'll write some stuff on it tomorrow but I gota go get some sleep.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score

Well right now I use the aquaclear mini in my 5.5 gallon, and it does an excellent job. Comparing it to this one, how good is the stingray? Or would it be best to get another HOB (thanks by the way, LZ) like the aquaclear for a new tank, or the one that you purchased?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Well I'v personally never used the aquaclear mini so I don't know. Right now the filter is making a scraping noise and i'm wondering if they gave me a bad impeller so I'm going to try my stingray impeller in there. is this it, it says that it has an adjustable flow? I would assume then that you can turn it down to a good rate for the betta thus making it a better filter than the elite hush hob It filters more and has a bigger media slot I'm assuming. I did not know that the aquaclear had a adjustable flow otherwise I might have bought it, though if this filter has a bad impeller maybe I will buy that. I would say that this HOB filter is great for tanks UNDER 5 gallons since it is small in measurments and very small flow. It says it pumps 50gph on the website but on the box it say 68gph I think. Once I get it figured out I'll write a review on it.

The stingray that I have pumps 38gph, has two sponges and two carbon/zeolite packs. I replaced the carbon/zeolite packs and put in filter floss and it does a EXCELLENT job at cleaning the tank. It is EXTREMELY quiet, I cannont hear it unless I put my ear next to the tank. It also has a nice appearance I think. It's easy to clean and removes a lot of waste. Only bad thing is that the output is slightly strong though for a non-planted tank it would be fine. You can move the output in whatever direction you want so it can be going on the wall it's sitting on if you want. The brown thing in the picture is to disrupt the flow a bit. I have no complaints on this filter, I just wanted a HOB filter. If you like the stingray filters two of the stingray 10 would probably be good and you could probably sneak away with two of the smaller one's for your ten gallon.

I hope I answered any questions you had, if not let me know. I'm going to go take some pictures of the insides of the filters for you and try to fix the noise soon will update for you

P.S. sorry Rose thought it might go in the betta section, i was wrong :-[

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

ARRGGHH I figured out what was wrong with the filter. Hagen put in a bad impeller which was making the noise. I took the impeller from my stingray since they are almost the same, one's a little smaller and it worked super queitly with that one. So this weekend I'm going to exchange it for a new filter. I would have to say it is an excellent filter though.

Depending on your fish load is what would be in my opinion your deciding factor for you ten gallon asinity. If your just going to have two bettas divided I would probably get two of these on either side or if you want to spend the money two aquaclears but I would think these are sufficient. I don't know the price but these by me were half the price so I decided to get this one.

Included are a picture of the inside of the elite hush filter and a couple pictures of the inside of the stingray. fell free to ask any questions

1. inside of elite HOB hush filter
2. inside of elite stingray submergible filter with one filter floss missing
3. inside of elite stingray submergible filter with all filters in it (sorry for the bad light) :-\

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score

The Mini is an excellent filter, but considering the price is double the price of the Stingray 5, I'm thinking a divided 10 would work best with two of the stingrays.

I'm guessing that Zeolite is the equivalent to the Biomax I use in my Mini, so it's still a 3 stage filter. Does the foam that comes with the stingray not work very well, or is there other reasons as to why you use filter floss?

My biggest complaint about the Aquaclear is that even on the lowest flow, it still seems to pound Atlantis so I've cut a piece of foam media to the size of the output, this has dropped the flow quite a bit and he's got no problems swimming around the output now.

This is a little off-topic, but I'm using the 50W Hagen Elite heater for Atlantis, my first impressions have been good, and I am very pleased with it thus far. I'm hoping that the Elite filters please me as much as the heater does - kind of funny though, the heater isn't even on their website.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

The reason I don't use the zeolite and carbon is that I don't like using carbon as I don't need it and it serves no purpose and I can't get the container open as they are mixed together so instead I just stuck some filter floss for mechanical filtration as it catches the small stuff that passes through the sponges which I like and I would advise you doing

Yes that was my main reason why I didn't buy it as between the betta and plants I figured it would be too much and I didn't need that much filtration in the first place. With the stingray you can move the outflow but you can't turn it down, though it's only 38gph. With the hush filter you can turn it down or up but you can't adjust were it goes. The hush is 68gph I think but you can turn it down a lot. I haven't been able to use it yet as they gave me a bad impeller but when I had it setup I would rather have that running than a stingray as it leaves more room on the inside of the tank, easier to clean and access filter media, nicer output, though slightly louder. I'm hoping to get it replaced tomorrow so if your not in a rush I can let you know how it is after a few days. Right now I would reccomend two hush filters if you don't mind the price, by me they are in between the aquaclears and stingrays if you don't like internal filters, if you like internal filters then go for the stingray as I have NO complaints.

I have a 25w elite heater in my tank also, it's the HOB type and it's been up for a year and two months and it keeps it at a steady temperature, very nice. I've been impressed with ALL elite products so far, heater, stingray filter, hush filter, airline tubing, check valve, I think that's all I'v used O Not sure if they put all there products on the site

Sorry for the late reply, been very busy

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score

I was getting a little anxious waiting for your response ;D

I've never used an internal filter before so I really wouldn't know what to expect. But I would definitely prefer something easy to maintain so it sounds like the hush would be best. If Aquaclear made something smaller than the mini I would buy that in a second. But considering this filter came with the tank, I can't be picky

I've been looking around though and priced everything out and it would cost me a fair bit to get everything separately. It would be nice if they made a 10 gallon divider kit, everything you needed minus the fish... lol.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Yes well try outfiting a bigger tank LOL. I had noticed when I had my hush filter up for a day that the lid didn't sit real well and rattlled a little though I'm sure I could have fixed that. I should be getting it replaced tomorrow but I may not, if not then not this Monday but next. I don't know when your getting everything but if you want to wait two weeks I will be able to tell you how the hush works out for me.

Internal filter just sits in the tank and takes up a bit more room. To change the media you have to get your hands wet to get the filter out.

Yes sorry, was very busy at school this week, and now my teachers might go on stike , very tired that's the reason I haven't been going on. Got back late on Tuesday from a hard track practice and that screwed me over unfortunately :-\ hope to catch back up on my sleep this weekend

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Aisinity, I got it replaced today and after a little fiddleing around it's rather a quiet filter. It's not as quiet as the stingray but is still very quiet. So far I'm still enjoying it.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

I'm emailing Hagen asking about this rattleing. It's very annoying as you have to fiddle with the filter to make it go away, if I can't get rid of it I'm returning this

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
I bought a Stingray5 tonight for my 2.5 gallon, it did take a bit of fiddling too because the cartridges have to sit in it just right for it to close completely. I noticed a bit of a rattling noise, it sounded as if the impeller was having some balance issues or something to that effect. I tilted it about 15 degrees and the rattling is gone.

Kind of disappointed, but for $12 I'm not going to complain. I could have gotten a new Aquaclear or the Hush, both were $20, the Aquaclear on sale. But for 2.5 Gallons, there isn't a point. It would simply turn the tank into a wicked current. As it is the goldfish is having some issues even with the output pointed into the corner of the tank. It's kind of funny,

We'll see how it holds up in the coming weeks, I'm just a little worried about how well it will be able to suck things up.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmm. I didn't have a problem with it closing or making noises, it's the hush filter that's annoying, it seems that hagen put in the wrong size impeller for it, still awaiting a response from them about it. :-\ You'l be surprised how much the stingray picks up.

Asinity

Valued Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to be able to change the flow rate on the Stingray, that's my only complaint about it now. It's quiet and it's done a pretty good job cleaning things up.

Did you ever try anything to calm down the flow of it? I use it in a 2.5 gallon so even with it pointed against the back of the filter, it still makes a pretty good current through the whole thing.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ya I had it in a 2.5 gallon and it created a bit of a flow. What I did was cut the lid of a fish food can, the inside out so the outside rim is left. I then got a twist tie and tied it on then hooked it onto the tank and put it over the flow. It disrupts the flow a bit more. Will see if I can take some pics.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom