One of my platies gave birth! How do I raise the fry?

eliza4fish

Hello!

I am so surprised but I guess one of my 3 platies was pregnant! I have no idea how because I got my first 2 platies more than 6 weeks ago.. and the female platy I got last week showed no signs of being pregnant either (but I guess I'm not good at recognizing when they are lol). I only noticed that someone must have been pregnant (obviously) when I saw a baby fry come up to the surface while I was doing a water change today! I immediately scooped it up and put it in a breeders box in my main tank. I don't have another tank cycled right now, but I would like to raise this one if I can! What do I do? It's so small, I don't even know what I could feed it. And should I try to cycle another tank in the meantime? (I have a 10 gallon empty tank right now).. any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

StarGirl

You can feed it with your regular flake food ground to powder. They have frozen Baby brine shrimp you could get too. I think Platy fry are fairly easy to raise so you should be able to if its healthy!

Upvote 0

Flyfisha

Live bearers fry can eat dry food and algae etc from the floor / ornaments etc from day one. Within the parents in the tank risking eating it there is no doubt it would survive without you adding any food in an established tank.

Now you have it in a new sterile breeding net it will starve if you don’t put old established ornaments, moss, gravel, wood, or even plastic plants. All of these things will have a small amount of bio film/ algae on them that a fry can eat. Adding dust food crushed to a very fin dust will feed the fry but you must not have uneaten food lying on the floor.

More fry in 28 days even without a male in the tank.

Upvote 0

eliza4fish

Thank you both! I fed it this morning some crushed flakes but he didn't seem to care for it. I cut a piece of my java fern and I put it in the breeder's box with him. Hopefully he'll snack when he feels like it! I'm going to add in a bit of frozen brine shrimp as well and I'll keep up with my water changes. Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Animefishes
  • Platy
Replies
Views
SM1199
  • Question
  • Platy25
  • Platy
Replies