One of my Otos Died. Was he starving?

NyeAngel
One of my Oto Cats, Spock died over the weekend while I was away. I just got them abt a week ago and have been switching between a omega one veggie rounds and a slice of cucumber to see which they eat because I can't tell. Its was just two of them because the LPS hasnt gotten anymore and those were the last two. I left a slice of cucumber on thursday night and there was so bits of a veggie round left in the substrate because it breaks up once trying to remove the left overs.

I know they eat alage I am waiting for my algae farm to yield. I see some bright green tiny spots on the stones. Is that algae?

Anyhow, when I came back I saw Spock had passed. I know it takes about a month to see if they have survived the journey from South America. I know I should check for a concave stomach but the Tuvok, the one remaining and Spock's stomach lools fine to me.

Here is a pic of Tuvok. Does he look ok to you? Please help.

image.jpeg

Eagle2018
I'm not an oto expert but I have several and they are all doing well. As far as I can tell yours looks good. One thing I've found is that certain otos can be picky about what they eat. Most of mine enjoy zucchinI but only one eats spinach and 2 will eat carrots. So you might try other veggies to see if there is one they prefer. On a side note, how long has the tank been established, otos tend to be sensitive when it comes to the water quality, what are your parameters?

Thunder_o_b
Sorry for you loss. Ottos are notoriously hard to keep alive the first month. I hope your other one lives a long and happy life.

NyeAngel
My nitrites and ammonia were 0ppm it wasn't the water. I took him back to petco and got a refund and ive tried all the local lps and lfs no one has any Otos. Idk what's going on. I'm so nervous for Tuvok all by himself with Sultan, my baby Betta. Its not been two months yet since I cycled and added fish. I will try Carrots. Does it matter if the spinach is frozen?

Eagle2018
I'm not sure. I always blanched fresh spinach. I'm not sure if it will make a difference

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
VSA
Replies
Views
arvind2205
Replies
Views
Tol
Replies
Views