One of my new fishes died is it my fault?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Marlin, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Marlin

Marlin Valued Member Member

I've just started my tank 3 or so weeks ago. Today I woke up and found that one of my fish was dead and was stuck to the filter by the suction. Is it because of the white slime that appeared on the filter? I cleaned the filter once a week using the aquarium water that was taken out when I do the cleaning. The slime has been there since week 1 so i never thought it was a problem as it comes off when I clean the filter. The other fishes are completely fine and would normally swim right to me when I come close to the tank except for that one that died. My fishes are 2 cremecicle lyretail molly, 2 orange platy(now 1), and these other two that can live with mollies(cant remember what they were). Also should I get another or is it fine for there to be only 1 platy.

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Good to have you here! :)

Sorry for your loss, dear. :console:

Was your tank cycled before you added any fish?

What are your water parameters?

What is your tank size?

Can you post a picture of the two fish that can live with mollies?

Yes, the platy should be fine on it's own, although it might appreciate having a buddy. :)

3. Gekco

Gekco Well Known Member Member

What are your tank levels at?
    I would advise against cleaning the filter all the time, you still should do it, but only the impeller shaft. You you clean the filter you might be scrubbing off the BB that is growing inside of your filter. Just change your media once a month.

4. OP
    OP
    Marlin

nitrate is low from my test strip its saying around 0 and the same for nitrite.
    hardness is 75
    alkalinity is between 120-180 and ph is 7.2 [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Gekco

I would recommend to buy the API Liquid Master Test Kit. The test strips can in inaccurate and the liquid drops are the most accurate.

6. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

What tank size is this? What other fish do you have in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. OP
    OP
    Marlin

It's just those guys and it's a 15 gallon tank

8. BornThisWayBettas

First off, Gekco is right, the API Freshwater Master Test Kit is much better, as test strips are inaccurate.

Secondly, those fish look like some sort of tetra (forgot the name), and tetras need to be in schools of six or more.

Also, mollies shouldn't be in anything smaller than a 20 gallon.

What are the ammonia levels?

9. Dom90

I'd recommend at least 30 gallons for mollies. They also cross-breed and breed like rabbits.

10. OP
    OP
    Marlin

Okay I see what the problem was :/ the ammonia levels needs to be put under control... Also for the tank i'm planning on replacing it soon. I got it from my friend since she was upgrading her fishes to a new tank and so she decided to give me the tank and included the mollies. When i was looking to see how to care for them I saw they needed to get a bigger tank so i was planning on changing em.

I'm at a 4.0 on ammonia level

Also was wondering...what causes ammonia levels to go up? It was 0 a few week ago. I'm thinking it might be adding too much food. I read that i should only add and pinch to where no food falls to the floor but no matter how little add some would fall down. Of course it gets picked off by the fish afterwards

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  11. BornThisWayBettas

It sounds like it started cycling. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? If not, I highly recommend you read up on it! If the tank isn't cycled, when you add fish (especially high-bioload fish like mollies), it creates an ammonia source, starting the cycle. What I would do is go out and buy a bottle of Tetra Safe Start (TSS) and an API Freshwater Master Test Kit, the TSS will help your cycle, and the test kit will help you monitor your water parameters. Also, I'm glad you're planning on replacing the tank soon, I would go with at least 30g, but the bigger the better! :)

12. OP
    OP
    Marlin

Yeah, I've been using the safe start and start enzyme whenever I replace some of the water. I also make sure to use aquasafe to clean chlorine and such.

13. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

The mystery fish looks like a black skirt tetra btw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. Gekco

Does the water conditioner say anything about detoxifying ammonia? Because if it does the safe start isn't doing anything. It's best to add safe start 24-48 hours after you use a water conditioner then don't add water for about 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPod touch using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. OP
    OP
    Marlin

It doesn't So I will add safe start and let the water stay as it is for the next week and hope for the best.

16. Dom90

Get yourself a bottle of Seachem Prime and Stability. TSS will not work when ammonia levels are at 4 ppm but Stability might. You don't even have to wait 24 hours after using Prime to use it. You can use it right away. Save those fishies!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice