One of my Glo-fish Tetras Passed Away

Hi everyone, just about 15 minutes ago I made a horrible discovery. One of my purple Glo-tetras were up against the filter intake and had passed away, the problem is I have no idea why. I did a test this morning and there was 0 ppm for ammonia and nitrites. I believe my nitrate test is incorrect somehow, as it was reading up to 80 ppm for my tap water, more info on my other thread. This is a community tank with a Swordtail, Glo-fish tetras, and Neon Tetras so I don’t think aggression was the problem. I’ve seen no signs of disease and no other fish have been acting strangely. I will note that this purple tetra was much smaller then the other tetras and there is another tetra just like it that hasn’t show any strange behavior. The only even leading up to this was when I noticed this tetra kinda stuck in some of my Java Ferns roots, but I don’t think that was it ether. If anyone could help me find out what happened that would be very much appreciated, and help some of my confusion and sadness.
I will also add I’ve been giving my fish omega one bloodworms, brine shrimp, and some fish flakes. Over feeding I don’t think was an issue as I just had left for a 3 day vacation and did a partial water change prior to leaving.

Solution
See the proble. Feed your fish more often. Feed them a half pinch morning and night. They got small stomachs and they are active fish. Also younger fish need to be feed moreover. To compare a newborn human has to be feed every 2 hours. Wile humans outgrow fasts, tetras may need to be feed 5-3(that's fry to juvenile in frequency)times a day when they are young
Alrighty! I shall do that then, thanks :)
fill the emergency template. Also please tell me you didn't go without feeding them for days.
Will do! And I did not, I fed them before I left and the day after I came back
Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 36 Gal
How long has the tank been running? 4 Months
Does it have a filter? Yes, 2 actually
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 76 Degrees F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
1 Swordtail
7 Neon Tetras
5 Glo-fish Tetras

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Once every week
How much of the water do you change? Around 30-40%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I vacuum the top layer of the substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API Freswater test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: ?? (Test is being wonky, see details above)
pH: 8.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice a week
How much do you feed your fish? About 2 pinches
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega One Bloodworms and Brine Shrimp, Top Fin Premuim Fish flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Over a month
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Happen suddenly
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Tetra started hiding in plants and suddenly passed away
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No signs of illness
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Nope
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Nope

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) Explained above

See the proble. Feed your fish more often. Feed them a half pinch morning and night. They got small stomachs and they are active fish. Also younger fish need to be feed moreover. To compare a newborn human has to be feed every 2 hours. Wile humans outgrow fasts, tetras may need to be feed 5-3(that's fry to juvenile in frequency)times a day when they are young

Alrighty! I shall do that then, thanks :)

Solution

Latest threads

Top Bottom