20 Gallon Tank One of my danios have gone missing.

Hexteria

I currently own a 20 gallon tank that previously had 4 peal danios and 1 zebra danio - I think. However, I have recently noticed that I can only see 3 pearl danios. There are no fish floating on the top, so he isn't dead - unless he has been eaten. However, I have looked in every corner of the tank and still have not found him.
Is it a possibility that my other danios have eaten him. Or is it just that I've forgotten how many danios I got.

pagoda

Have you checked the filter....inside of ornaments especially where they have been moulded that a fish can easily get in but not back out again...under plants....behind the heater/on top of the heater suckers (they are pretty skilled at getting into places that they shouldn't.)

Upvote 0

WRWAquarium

I've Known danios to kill and eat their own kind before. Pearls can be quite aggressive, I once had a neighbour that kept a small group and he ended up flushing the alpha fish as he said it was killing off the others.

I think this behaviour is uncommon however. You definately need more danios, when there's only a few they are at their worst for nipping and bullying. In a 20 gallon you could do 10 or more and they will be happier.

Upvote 0

Hexteria

Have you checked the filter....inside of ornaments especially where they have been moulded that a fish can easily get in but not back out again...under plants....behind the heater/on top of the heater suckers (they are pretty skilled at getting into places that they shouldn't.)

I've Known danios to kill and eat their own kind before. Pearls can be quite aggressive, I once had a neighbour that kept a small group and he ended up flushing the alpha fish as he said it was killing off the others.

I think this behaviour is uncommon however. You definately need more danios, when there's only a few they are at their worst for nipping and bullying. In a 20 gallon you could do 10 or more and they will be happier.

Okay, so, I've just cleaned and rebuilt the filter and there is nothing in there. There is no way he could be under the plants as they are all too small. The ornaments are very open and he is not in there. Nor is he behind the heater.
I'm assuming he's been eaten.
Thanks for the reply. :)
I'll head down to the fish shop today and pick up a few more danios.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Wendybrass
  • Question
  • Cherryshrimpowner10038
  • Fish Food
Replies
Views
Turnkeyagenda24
Replies