One Male Dwarf Gourami or a Male + Female pair?

MrFishy222

Hello, Tomorrow I'm going to my fish store to finally get some dwarf gouramis for my 125-litre (33 US gallon) tank and I'm still unsure whether to just get one male dwarf gourami on its own or a male and female pair. For context, I plan to keep around 6 cardinal tetras in the tank with them in the future as they are non-aggressive and won't harass them. However, I have heard some people say that the males can bully the females to death and it's best to keep them solo but some people say the opposite and say their social and must be kept in at least a pair. What do you think?

Nanonanny

What type of dwarf gourami?
I have two male honeys in a 20 gal that are completely fine with each other.
I have two dwarf males, a male flame and male power blue along with two dwarf females in a 75 that are very peaceful as well.
A single male will be fine if that's all you want and I don't think you will have any issues with a pair in a 33 gallon either.

MrFishy222

What type of dwarf gourami?
I have two male honeys in a 20 gal that are completely fine with each other.
I have two dwarf males, a male flame and male power blue along with two dwarf females in a 75 that are very peaceful as well.
A single male will be fine if that's all you want and I don't think you will have any issues with a pair in a 33 gallon either.
In that case, I might just go with one male to avoid any issues as long as it is not lonely. Also it is this type of dwarf gourami pictured below:

Attachments

• 1656098538761.png
    1656098538761.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

Nanonanny

In that case, I might just go with one male to avoid any issues as long as it is not lonely. Also it is this type of dwarf gourami pictured below:

That is a regular Trichogaster lalius.

MrFishy222

Ended up getting one male who is getting on very well already and to my surprise already eating!
Specifically picked him as he was the most coulourful and active in the tank and wasnt hiding away or anything.

Attachments

• 1656235771912.png
    1656235771912.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 1656235793551.png
    1656235793551.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 1656235812980.png
    1656235812980.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 9

Nanonanny

Ended up getting one male who is getting on very well already and to my surprise already eating!
Specifically picked him as he was the most coulourful and active in the tank and wasnt hiding away or anything.
Beautiful, perfect looking tank setup for him as well.
He will definitely love it in there.

MrFishy222

Beautiful, perfect looking tank setup for him as well.
He will definitely love it in there.
Thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
Replies
Views
Pikephillips322
Replies
Views