One little shrimp pellet, a whole tank of chaos... Funny

Discussion in 'Funny Stuff' started by Elodea, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Normally, after I feed my fish flake food, I drop in an Aquarian shrimp pellet for the kuhli loaches. After I got those three Amano shrimp...

The shrimp love the pellets, but are rather timid themselves (being barely an inch long). However, they've learned to zoom in, snatch up the shrimp pellet in their front legs, and swim away as fast as they can before the fish can figure out what's happened.

Normally the shrimp succeeds, and takes the shrimp pellet onto a strand of anacharis where it could eat it in peace, but last night...

My fish had enough. After my largest shrimp swooped in and grabbed the pellet, two danios and the serpae tetra went right after him. It was so funny watching a little shrimp clutching a pellet half his size paddle furiously through the water with three fish on his tail, I had to laugh.

Below is greedy Mr. Shrimp not sharing a shrimp pellet. (he's hiding behind the Java fern)

Attached Files:

• One little shrimp pellet, a whole tank of chaos...
      003.JPG
      File size:
      240.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Cute picture! Nummy nummy, shrimp pellet. lol

3. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

Great pic, I love to watch the ghost shrimp in my tank.........

4. OP
    OP
    Elodea

Anyway, I'm starting to drop in extra shrimp pellets for my Amano shrimp to prevent them from eating my Java fern leaves.

Today, the whole tank looked like a war zone. All my fish (except for the Pristella and the ghost catfish) were at the bottom, circling the pellets and picking at the gravel.

One shrimp pellet was surrounded by 5 fish (all three danios, the serpae tetra, and a kuhli loach) that would circle it like a flock of vultures. Whenever one would rush in and snap it up, all the other fish would rush at the fish with the pellet in protest and try to steal it from him (except for the kuhli loach, he's very mellow).

The other shrimp pellet was in the clutches of the smallest Amano shrimp, who was, when I last saw him, hiding underneath a Java fern leaf as both the other shrimp closed in, one from the top of the leaf, the other sneaking in from behind a rock. Amano shrimp come from Japan - no wonder they're such ninja-y :;nin2 .

5. s

shadow2 Valued Member Member

Loved your story, u should write a book! The picture of the shrimp holding the pellet is priceless. I nver would have thought having a shrimp could be such fun.

I am new to this fish keeping business and have 2 peppered cories and just bought 2 Julii cories and the one smallest one is a Julii and he pushes his little body underneath the other ones to get at the food. He is so feisty and I am amazed at how much fun it is watching the show.

6. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

That's hilarious I would like to see that. That's so Funny. "I GOT IT LETS GO" :;laughing

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Too cute and love the photo!
    Ken

8. OP
    OP
    Elodea

Okay, finally uploaded a few pics (do you know how long it takes to resize each one? lol). These are all from the feeding a few minutes ago.

#1: Shrimp pellets are a surefire way to get a good shot of the zebra danios. For once, they slow down to pick at the food.

#2: Of course, its much better with three fish in the picture! Note the shrimp pellet that has been bumped up from the gravel (in front of the serpae). Okay, this one was a bit blurry.

#3: Now we have full attendance. The other kuhli loach hasn't caught on yet.

#4: Here's the serpae tetra, the usual cause of the shrimp pellet suddenly disappearing during the tussle. (he enjoys them more than the kuhlis do)

#5: The smaller shrimp this time, apparently having ripped off a bit of the
    pellet, is now enjoying it at leisure (no big guy to steal it 'cause Mondo has the rest of the pellet). Grrr, blurry picture. The shrimp are partly transparent so the camera doesn't recognise it as something to focus on.

Attached Files:

9. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

cannibal shrimp!!!!!

10. OP
    OP
    Elodea

Don't know if it's okay to revive this or not...but...

I just came back after watching an amusing battle between Mondo the big female shrimp and the danios...Mondo snatched up the shrimp pellet and tried to zoom away into the anacharis as usual, but one of my danios rammed her head-on, made her drop the pellet, and the other danio tried to snap it up as it fell! (it would've been more epic if the danio could actually fit the shrimp pellet into his mouth) Crazy fish (and shrimp).

11. F

FredBjammin Valued Member Member

That's awesome and to top it with the pic... that's priceless!

12. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

You have some funny and interesting fish and shrimps! :happy0034: Better keep an eye on your naughty kids! :D

13. FriendsNotFood

FriendsNotFood Well Known Member Member

Bwhahahaha.
    Making me want to start my shrimp tank up more and more!

14. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Updating is cool!
    I have learned to drop in a few floating pellets when I put shrimp pellets in for the Cory's and loaches or else the angels and harlequin rasbora won't leave them anything to eat. Now with the floating pellets their at the top chasing them LOL
    Carol

15. A

Aqueos Humor New Member Member

well.... when a shrimps gotta eat, good story :)

16. Treefork

Treefork Well Known Member Member

Glad you updated, I missed this whole thread, very funny stuff, love the picture of the shrimp hugging the pellet to his.. .uh chest? Does he know it's shrimp? :)

17. f

fishboy97 New Member Member

haha so hilarious :)

18. r

rbelchak1988 Valued Member Member

When I had a couple danios my favorite thing was to drop in a cricket or two it was an epic battle between my danios and bosemani rainbow. They would end up cramming the whole cricket in their mouth and they couldn't shut their mouths afterwards, so you see the fish wide mouthed and the back quarter of the cricket sticking out.

19. k

kloseo Well Known Member Member

:eek: if only he knew what he was eating:;laughing

20. OP
    OP
    Elodea

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice